News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I was quite surprised with the amount of interest shown in the periscopes. However, it is these 'forgotten' little items that often do arouse interest, since we seem to rarely see them.

Last week I bought an early pair of binoculars - they had history to both the Boer War (1899-1902) and to WW1 - however, they are very much in the style of those used in the Zulu War (1879) and being from a South African family this is more than possible. Since we have in stock dated examples of WW1 and WW2 I thought I would show all three to show the changes in style. All have the Broad Arrow of the Board of Ordnance and so are designated for the military. Binoculars really only came into use in the 1870's and prior to this small telescopes were used. They would have been for officers only.

From left - WW2 pair - American made and issued to a Captain in the Signals. Middle : dated 1916 and case has the Officer's name and unit - The Royal Scots Fusiliers. On right - the new pair. All have the Broad Arrow.

If you have any old examples - or any info. to add - please go ahead.

Hi Mervyn,

I've always liked optical devices and if I were starting to collect all over again I'd probably...oh, what the heck, I'd be collecting EVERYTHING! Still these items are of great interest and well worth adding to any collection.

I've included the only two in my collection.

Up first is British WWII and has the Government mark.

Regards

Brian

This is a set of binoculars that was manufactured in France around 1908 and were possibly used during WWI. The person I purchased them from did not offer any information as to their use until after I had made the purchase so I have no reason to disbelieve him as it was not a sales pitch.

Regardless of the validity of the story the style is of the type used during the War though it would have been a private purchase. The leather on the tubes is missing but I liked the way they have an even colouration as many with the leather missing are not very nice to look at with bits of the glue remaining here and there.

Regards

Brian

• 4 months later...