News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US cavalryman, so it is said...

Mark C

Being auctioned off on a prominent site as an "antique" photo of a real soldier. Can you say "Hollywood"? Anyone see any reason at all to think it's genuine?

Mark C.

Maryland

The silver content in the photo look modern rather than what I would have expected in 1870. Besides what is wrong with the uniform :)

Considering the limitations of Civil War photography this shot would have been impossible. The exposure time would make the smoke from his cheroot either a dim blur or invisible. I don't think the cap eagle is kosher and he looks suspiciously like a bit actor from a 50's cowboys n'injuns movie.

• 2 months later...

Pleas note the chin strap has decorated edges like present straps! I have owned civil war kepies, thay have plain tared chin straps. The eagle in front on the cap is a full colonel's - somewhat recent. Impossible photograph. See photograph of a 5th Infantry, 1868 - Bent and Bush cap.

Captain Albert

• 3 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

Being auctioned off on a prominent site as an "antique" photo of a real soldier. Can you say "Hollywood"? Anyone see any reason at all to think it's genuine?

Mark C.

Maryland

Looks like Victor Andrew de Bier Everleigh McLaglen (10 December 1886 – 7 November 1959) , Hollywood actor.

Looks like Victor Andrew de Bier Everleigh McLaglen (10 December 1886 – 7 November 1959) , Hollywood actor.

Now that we have a name :jumping: it must be a publicity shot from Ft. Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, or Rio Grande with John Wayne.

I believe that this is a posed Hollywood photo but i do not believe it is of Victor McLaglin (McLaughlin). These guys both have the rough look but the McLaglin of John Wayne movies has a distinctive appearance. Also, this guy is wearing a colonel's insignia and I do not ever remember McLaglin in the role of an officer in a cavalry movie. He is usually an NCO.