News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Seen one of these before?

Hi everyone,

Is this an unusual or even unique item? Some 10 yrs or more ago I bought this from a friend to use as a paperweight. It is, I believe, the iron die used to strike / press when producing helmet plates. In this case to the Staffordshire County & Stoke on Trent Constabulary (not even sure if they are still in-being?)

Anyone seen a similar artifact? Can't be too many of these out there.

Regards,

Kevin E.

Hi everyone,

Is this an unusual or even unique item? Some 10 yrs or more ago I bought this from a friend to use as a paperweight. It is, I believe, the iron die used to strike / press when producing helmet plates. In this case to the Staffordshire County & Stoke on Trent Constabulary (not even sure if they are still in-being?)

Anyone seen a similar artifact? Can't be too many of these out there.

Regards,

Kevin E.

Welcome to the forum Kevin,

The Constabulary is now obsolete and part of the Staffordshire Constabulary.

That is a great artifact, I absolutely love it!

Regards and thanks for posting it.

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

There were two parts to the die - this is the top and the crown is for Queen Victoria - as far as I can see. They are not rare - some 40 years ago I was offered the complete sets of dies for ALL of the early Police , Prison and Livery badges. Since they would have filled two garages and I was living in police section house, I had to turn them down - they were only £1000 ($1600) but, that was a lot of money then.

I understand that they were sold to a company who silvered them and sold them as paper weights - but, separately, so you could not strike a badge. Quite possibly , some were not silvered or, have had it removed.

Using a wax - or, resin base - you would be able to press out a nice impression. I know Brian would want one as he collects Staffordshire.

Value wise - I should think you probably paid £15 or, £20 ?

Thankyou, Ian. The Crown has the shaped sides similar to QV - you know the dates better then I do. This means that it was most probably made to be sold as a paper weight - if it is part of the original die I will be surprised - they are usually destroyed or, put in a museum. Mervyn

Thanks Ian & Mervyn for your information and suggestions. I tried "Googling" the paperweight theory and haven't managed to find another. I'm sure if produced with that in mind there ought to be hundreds out there - simply to have been financially viable. So I expect someone will see this and respond - I guess it only needs one more person to say "I've got one of those" and copy die to be used as paperweight, it is.

Kind regards,

Kevin.