News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cleaned blade, polish damage.

Hun Helmet

I got an offer for a dress bayonet I am selling but I will want to disclose the fact someone tried to polish the chromed blade and a tiny part of the chrome finish was damaged. I'd say it's less then a quarter inch wide and under a hald inch long near the tip.

What % off would be fair for this damage?

No way to post a photo it would never show up.

Mike

Mike - was the blade chrome finished to start with - sometimes people pay to have this done for their collections. Certainly it will make a difference - but, like always, a lot can be forgiven if it is a rare piece. Which bayonet is it - does it have scabbard ? Let me have a few details and I will check current prices.

Are you sure it was from polishing and not damage done by the removal and replacement into the scabbard? I've had TR dress bayonets in the past that showed such damage of the size and location you describe.

Of course either way it will effect the value but in my mind scabbard damage is not as damming as over-polishing damage.

Regards

Brian

Pretty sure yes. I got it from my Dad who got it from a collector who told him the stroy of how he damaged the blade trying to polish it with some sort of tool and went too far. I don't know why the photo did not load.

Mike

Mike - the peeling of this chrome will affect the blade, and could continue to eventually leave quite a big area. Could you take a photo of the entire bayonet and then perhaps I can identify it for you and give you an indication on market value. Then you will know how much discount you can give.