News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Information regarding Police medals

Hi People,

A couple of weeks ago I visited our local auction house on the viewing day to examine an old Hampshire Militia Long Service medal to the 8th battalion (Isle of Wight Rifles) which I would have loved to own. Whilst there I noticed a couple of nice looking police medals. My medal interest is generally restricted to named Hampshire Regiment medals, so I wasn't tempted with the police medals, at that time.

Two days after the auction I came across the very same two police medals on E-Bay and they sort of "called" to me. Having won the E-Bay auction, unlike with military medals, I didn't know how or where to go to research these medals.......can someone please help?

They are a bronze 1887 Jubilee medal with the 1897 clasp. Inscribed: PC H. DEERING S, Div'n

and a 1902 Police Coronation medal, inscribed: PC H. DEERING N. DIV

Any information about this officer would be gratefully received.

Pics to follow.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Edited by 5016

Hi People,

A couple of weeks ago I visited our local auction house on the viewing day to examine an old Hampshire Militia Long Service medal to the 8th battalion (Isle of Wight Rifles) which I would have loved to own. Whilst there I noticed a couple of nice looking police medals. My medal interest is generally restricted to named Hampshire Regiment medals, so I wasn't tempted with the police medals, at that time.

Two days after the auction I came across the very same two police medals on E-Bay and they sort of "called" to me. Having won the E-Bay auction, unlike with military medals, I didn't know how or where to go to research these medals.......can someone please help?

They are a bronze 1887 Jubilee medal with the 1897 clasp. Inscribed: PC H. DEERING S, Div'n

and a 1902 Police Coronation medal, inscribed: PC H. DEERING N. DIV

Any information about this officer would be gratefully received.

Pics to follow.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin I assume they are Metropolitan Police medals (sometimes City of London). Might be worth contacting the Metropolitan (or City of London) Police Museum. If they don't have the relevant information they may know where to look, the other options are the censuses 1891 and 1901 which I believe are available on line and you may be able to track him down from there.

All the best,

Paul

Kevin I assume they are Metropolitan Police medals (sometimes City of London). Might be worth contacting the Metropolitan (or City of London) Police Museum. If they don't have the relevant information they may know where to look, the other options are the censuses 1891 and 1901 which I believe are available on line and you may be able to track him down from there.

All the best,

Paul

Thanks Paul. Yes, should have clarified, they are indeed Metropolitan Police medals.

As a newbie to your forum I've been busy reading as many old threads as possible before asking and I did see similar queries where members appeared to have the answer to hand, so wondered if someone had compiled a database or whether there is a book I should source.

Can anyone tell me the address or contact details for the Met Police Museum you suggest I contact?

Regards,

Kevin.

Thanks Paul. Yes, should have clarified, they are indeed Metropolitan Police medals.

As a newbie to your forum I've been busy reading as many old threads as possible before asking and I did see similar queries where members appeared to have the answer to hand, so wondered if someone had compiled a database or whether there is a book I should source.

Can anyone tell me the address or contact details for the Met Police Museum you suggest I contact?

Regards,

Kevin.

Met Collection, Ground Floor, Empress State Building, Empress Approach, Lillie Road, SW6 1TR. Probably won't have the information to hand but should be able to point you in the right direction.

Paul

Met Collection, Ground Floor, Empress State Building, Empress Approach, Lillie Road, SW6 1TR. Probably won't have the information to hand but should be able to point you in the right direction.

Paul

Thanks for the address Paul. Do you know whether they respond to written requests? Living on the Isle of Wight, all trips to mainland are usually planned and pre-determined, so a drop-in visit isn't likely to happen any time soon.

Kevin.

Thanks for the address Paul. Do you know whether they respond to written requests? Living on the Isle of Wight, all trips to mainland are usually planned and pre-determined, so a drop-in visit isn't likely to happen any time soon.

Kevin.

Not sure,

Worth a second class stamp though, nothing ventured nothing gained.

All the best,

Paul

Not sure,

Worth a second class stamp though, nothing ventured nothing gained.

All the best,

Paul

Police Constable Henry DEERING Warrant No 65432 enlisted 14.3.1881 as PC S Div awarded 1887 Jubilee Medal as PC S Div,awarded 1897 Jubilee clasp as PC X Div,awarded 1902 Coro Medal as PC X Div,retired to pension 19.3.1906 as PC X Div. (Blue eyes,walrus moustache and size 13 boots )-

You beauty! Many thanks. Can you share with me the source of that information - is there a book covering this subject? I'll treat myself if there is.

Size 13 boots! The mind boggles.

Kind regards,

Kevin.

- is there a book covering this subject?

Yes - The Metropolitan Police, The Men And Their Medals. However I was unable to establish the colour of eyes or boot sizes for all 33,000 entries when I wrote the book. So I didn't include that information (note they nearly all had moustaches then!)

- is there a book covering this subject?

Yes - The Metropolitan Police, The Men And Their Medals. However I was unable to establish the colour of eyes or boot sizes for all 33,000 entries when I wrote the book. So I didn't include that information (note they nearly all had moustaches then!)

Thanks, Mr Kemp. Placed on my Amazon wishlist and the better half informed.

Kevin E.