News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Who sank the Belgrano?

Hi Guys,

Its common knowledge that the Conqueror sank her, but I`m curious to know, is it known which member of the crew pressed the button? I assume the captain would have given the order to fire, but who actually pushed the button. I don`t expect for one minute to be naming names here, but what about a rank? Would it have been an Officer or a Rating?

2014.gif

Hi Guys,

Its common knowledge that the Conqueror sank her, but I`m curious to know, is it known which member of the crew pressed the button? I assume the captain would have given the order to fire, but who actually pushed the button. I don`t expect for one minute to be naming names here, but what about a rank? Would it have been an Officer or a Rating?

2014.gif

The Belgrano sinking is an interesting story. I don't know all the facts, but my recollection is as follows: Marconi has recently begun deliveries on their new Tigerfish homing torpedo and were pushing for international sales. When the RN sank Belgrano, they intimated that it was a Tigerfish that did it. Only months (years?) later did we hear that it was a conventional MK 8 that actually did the job.

I'd love to hear commentary from the UK side.

Hugh

(Retired torpedo salesman)

The Belgrano sinking is an interesting story. I don't know all the facts, but my recollection is as follows: Marconi has recently begun deliveries on their new Tigerfish homing torpedo and were pushing for international sales. When the RN sank Belgrano, they intimated that it was a Tigerfish that did it. Only months (years?) later did we hear that it was a conventional MK 8 that actually did the job.

I'd love to hear commentary from the UK side.

Hugh

(Retired torpedo salesman)

Hugh that is indeed a very interesting story and a whole new angle. Thanks for sharing it with us!!!cheers.gif & what a cracking job title to boot!!!! Did they sell themselves or was there a patter that you used? Something along the lines of a secondhand car dealer2014.gif ?

Edited by The Monkey God

Hugh that is indeed a very interesting story and a whole new angle. Thanks for sharing it with us!!!cheers.gif & what a cracking job title to boot!!!! Did they sell themselves or was there a patter that you used? Something along the lines of a secondhand car dealer2014.gif ?

I can't tell you or I'd have to kill you! :rolleyes:

One thing I can tell you for certain (without naming names) is that my cousin served on the Conqueror during the Falklands campaign and worked in the torpedo room!

However he does suffer mental problems these days as I believe a result of his Naval service? (This is not Bovine Splatter)sad.gif

One thing I can tell you for certain (without naming names) is that my cousin served on the Conqueror during the Falklands campaign and worked in the torpedo room!

However he does suffer mental problems these days as I believe a result of his Naval service? (This is not Bovine Splatter)sad.gif

How interesting, but sorry to hear about the other bit.sad.gif