Scowen

Steirischer Heimatbund & Kärntner Volksbund

45 posts in this topic

From the little I can find out about them, the Steirischer Heimatbund were formed originally in the Austrian region of Styria, & after the invasion of Yogolslavia, from Volksdeutsche in Untersteiermark (Slovenian Štajerska).

Here's a grouping including both sizes if membership badge, the Wehrmannschaft pass showing the symbol, Mitglied card, fully stamped until early 1945 & the Kennkarte.

The Wehrmannschaft I believe, were formed to combat the Partisans & defend against the approaching Red Army.

Any further info on this organisation would be appreciated.

Cheers

Don

Steirischer_set_a.jpg

Here's a close up of one of the membership badges. I have a feeling that the two sizes were intended for men & women as I also have membership documents for his wife.

The larger ones were made of plastic & the smaller ones generally a zinc type metal, but also came in plastic.

Steirischer_Plastic_Ob_a.jpg

For me, the gem of the set is the pass photo showing a badge in wear......

Steirischer_a.jpg

I've just picked up a membership card plus badge within the last month so I guess a cupboard somewhere in central Europe has been cleared out recently! The dealer told me that the two came together and the membership card carries the christian name of Mathuus (Matthew) but the badge is the smaller version.

In the context of your man-big woman-small point, either my badge has been married with the membership card at a later date in order to enhance the sale or maybe the members had a choice as to which badge they purchased?

Can't add much more to what you've already said, other than the Heimatbund was a league for ethnic germans who came together to celebrate their links to the "home country". I've also found references to Heimatbund which were formed in America the 1930s. I'd imagine in this case that part of the pacification of the population would have involved playing on their ethnic roots and encouraging things like this.

I'll try to post a picture but I think because I'm new I'm a bit limited on size!

[attachmentid=26326]

heimat2.jpg

And here's the other side which shows that this chap joined in 1942 and continued to pay membership dues up until 1944.

[attachmentid=26327]

heimat3.jpg

Hi Gentlemen, sorry, I don't come up to this part of the forum & hadn't noticed that the thread had been replied to :blush:

Mr MacSplock,

Thanks for posting your card. These do pop up quite often & from various dates & areas. My notion about the badge for male or female is just a guess. It could in fact be either the reverse as the Wehrmacht civilians pin was large for the females & small for the males, or as you say the choice of the member. After all, I imagine the badge had to be paid for & wasn't "issued".

Peter,

Cool :beer: Do you know what it is for? 40 what?

Cheers

Don

Hi Don,

Your guess is as good as mine. The name on the medal shows recemblance to the Prussian Landeskriegerverband and at first I contemplated a possible 40 year medal for service in a war veteran's association, but the lack of the word "krieger", finally ruled out that possibility. I believe it's an above mentioned medal for some other organisation.

KR

Peter

ID: 9   Posted (edited)

:blush:

Thought I'd post this here rather than the political & organisation area due to the Slovenian connection.

From the little I can find out about them, the Steirischer Heimatbund were formed originally in the Austrian region of Styria, & after the invasion of Yogolslavia, from Volksdeutsche in Untersteiermark (Slovenian ?tajerska).

Here's a grouping including both sizes if membership badge, the Wehrmannschaft pass showing the symbol, Mitglied card, fully stamped until early 1945 & the Kennkarte.

The Wehrmannschaft I believe, were formed to combat the Partisans & defend against the approaching Red Army.

Any further info on this organisation would be appreciated.

Cheers

Don

Hello gentlemans!

It was pretty much all said by scowen!

Here is more info!

Till october 1941 there was more then 250.000 mature people affiliated to Steirischer Heimatbund (?tajerska domovinska zveza). Affiliation was only formaly freedom becouse Germans have threaten those who didnt want to join with emigration. They were accepting new members all the way to the end of the war. We know two types of these tinnies, 21mm and 30mm. You said you think there is woman/man membership tinnie. I think you were wrong here but it's quite an interesting theory. Some say that the big one was known as "f?hrer sign" which was worn only by leaders. However this is not prooved! Every member of Steirischer Heimutbund got the little sign! Steirischer Heimatbund existed from 1941-1945. The primary role of this organisation was to germanize Slovenes and to fight against the Partisans. There were also other similar organisations formed in other regions. Very well known is K?rntner Volksbund.

Sorry for my english but I think you got the point. :blush:

In my personal collection I have one tinnie and document of rejection in Steirischer Heimatbund. I'll post some pictures later this week. I'm curious, how much did you pay for this tinnies?

Cheers! :beer:

Explorer

Edited by Explorer

Hi Explorer,

Thank you for replying to this old thread & adding more information :beer: I have found it difficult to find out much information written in English about this organisation. I'm glad that you also mention the K?rntner Volksbund which is another group that I am interested in.

I look forward to seeing your pictures when you have time :jumping: (And do not worry, your English is fine).

Cheers

Don

ID: 11   Posted (edited)

Hello!

There is even hard to find much information about Steirischer Heimatbund in Slovenian language. I'll try to find some more info in the books and will post it here. If you know anything more I'd be very glad to hear it. I don't think there is much known about this organisation so if any other members know anything about it, any info would be appreciated! Maybe there is more literature in german language.

Scowen, do you have any items from K?rntner Volksbund? If you have, I'd like to see some pictures. :beer: Info is desired!

I'll post my pics as soon as I can. ;)

Oh, and one more thing, I really love that picture showing badge in wear, very nice. :love:

Is the badge on the picture the big one or small one. If it's the big one we can check the theory about f?hrer sign, ofcourse if you also have the name of the person and we find some info about him.

Cheers

Explorer

Edited by Explorer

Thank you Explorer.

I am told that there may be some information in these books but they may only refer to the Untersteiermarker, I don't know.

NEMSKA MOBILIZACIJA SLOVENCEV V DRUGI SVETOVNI VOJNI" by Marjan Znidaritsch, Joze Dezman and Ludvik Puklavec, Celje 2001 (in Slovene language only)

"DIE STABSBESPRECHUNGEN DER NZ-ZIVILVERWALTUNG IN DER UNTERSTEIERMARK 1941-1944" by Stefan Karner, Graz 1996 (in German language only)

"QUELLEN ZUR NATIONALSOZIALISTISCHEN ENTNATIONALISIERUNGSPOLITIK IN SLOWENIEN 1941-1945" by Anton Ferenc, Maribor 1980 (in German language only)

Unfortunately I do not have any items yet from the Kärntner Volksbund, but I am always looking tongue.gif

I think that the badge being worn in the picture is the big one. I do have his name, it is in his Kennkarte & Wehrmannschaftspa?, but the handwriting is difficult for me to read. When I get time later I shall scan it for you.

Cheers

Don

Thanks alot for those titles. I'll check out that Slovenian book. I'm waiting for your pics!

Cheers

Explorer

Here is some stuff I know about Kärntner Volksbund (Koro?ka ljudska zveza). Like in Steirischer Heimatbund we also know that there are two Kärntner Volksbund membership badges in same sizes sizes - 21mm and 30mm. This organisation was formed in region of Gorenjska. In July 1941 113.000 people joined this organisation which also existed from 1941-1945.

Thanks for the extra information! Do you know if any records & lists of membership survive in any archives?

Here is a section from his Kennkarte

Cheers

Don

St_H_1.jpg

ID: 19   Posted (edited)

Hello Explorer

I paid ?200 for the membership card and badge about 10 months ago.

JM

Thanks for telling. I was curious how much are these badges actually worth becouse I got mine for 15$. :cheeky:

Scowen. Here's the info on the second pic.

Surname: Vaupotič (Waupotitsch)

Name: Franz (Franc)

Birthday: 25.9.1900

Birth place: Puschendorf

District or county: Ptuj (Pettau)

Citizenship: German, I don't know what vorb. means

Religion: Catholic

Family status: married

Proffesion: farmer or could be landowner

Now about those two cities he lived in. In the first pic we can see Friedau. That's Ormo? in Slovenian ?tajerska. On second pic its Puschendorf, I think that is in Germany.

That's it for now. :beer:

EDIT: I messed up. :speechless: He was born in Puschedorf in Germany and probably lived in Slovenia - Friedau!

Edited by Explorer

ID: 20   Posted (edited)

Hey!

You're not gonna beleive this. I started a topic on one of Slovenian forums for help with translation of those two documents you posted. And guess what, I got a PM from a guy who says that he knows the owners of the house that this guy used to live in. he said if I have any further questions he can probably help me. so if you have something to ask, write the questions down. And I also found out that Puschendorf (Pu?enci) is actually a place next to Friedau (Ormo?).

World's small. :jumping:

Edited by Explorer

That's amazing! So are you saying that the family are still there? Could asking such questions cause a problem these days, what are the attitudes today to admitting that reletives belonged to such organisations?

Cheers

Don

Thanks for the link, a very nice armband indeed, now that I would like :love: I also see a badge for the K?rntner Volksbund amongst the group.

Cheers

Don

Thanks Kristijan, I'll do that. I might need to have a chat with you to figure out how it works :rolleyes::blush:

Cheers

Don