News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

One of the best known Honours awarded by the British Government is the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire. There are varying degrees within the Order and they are tailored to be suitable for the different categories of those who may be honoured. Some years ago the Order was much sought after by Diplomats, Civil Servants and the Military. However, over recent years it has become the award for ageing pop stars, old sportsmen and retired gas board officials. Never mind - it is still a high honour.

The varying degrees are as follows - in order from the most junior :

Medal of the Order of the British Empire - BEM

Member of the Order - MBE

Officer of the Order - OBE

Commander of the Order - CBE

Dames Commanders - DBE

Knights Commanders - KBE

Knights and Dames Grand Cross - GBE

The one illustrated here is the CBE - second issue. Originally it had the figure of Brittania - this was later changed to the profiles

of King George 5th and Queen Mary. This was originally to the Colony of Swaziland and his date of death is shown on the instruction sheet.

Here is an example of the first type of CBE which was issued during the reign of King George V. The ribbon for awards to military personnel has an additional central thin red stripe.

The card with instructions for wear is very similar to the one shown earlier in this thread.

This particular medal was awarded in 1932 to Frederick Horton Wynne who was then H.M. Deputy Chief Inspector of Mines. He held the post of H.M. Chief Inspector of Mines from 1938 until his retirement in 1942 and died the following year.

Thankyou for showing the original version Odin. Does yours have the additional breast ribbon ? I see it is the same smaller size - so that must have been from the beginning. Book prices are about the same - however, I'm told the 2nd version is more sought after ?

I think this is one of my favourite award designs - impressive, but not over-stated.

No there was no other ribbon with the medal when I got it. I'm slightly confused as to why there was a breast ribbon with yours - the CBE is only ever worn as a neck decoration and never on the left breast (although in evening dress it is worn on a much thinner ribbon). Also because the CBE ribbon ring is at right angles to the top of the medal it would never sit properly if you tried to wear it as a breast decoration. It could be the other ribbon was used by a collector just for display in cabinet or whatever because the normal longer ribbon would be too big.

Edited by Odin Mk 3

Odin - there is a slightly larger version which is worn as a breast badge - usually, I have seen it to the immediate right of a worn group. I think this breast ribbon came with the box - if you look the ribbon has been set for mounting. I do know that the neck version is smaller.

Odin Mk 3 wrote:

No there was no other ribbon with the medal when I got it. I'm slightly confused as to why there was a breast ribbon with yours - the CBE is only ever worn as a neck decoration and never on the left breast (although in evening dress it is worn on a much thinner ribbon). Also because the CBE ribbon ring is at right angles to the top of the medal it would never sit properly if you tried to wear it as a breast decoration. It could be the other ribbon was used by a collector just for display in cabinet or whatever because the normal longer ribbon would be too big.

I wonder if the 'breast ribbon' is the 'shoulder bow' that is worn by female recipients of the CBE? Gunner 1

The ladies version of the CBE is worn as a breast badge but from a different (bow shaped) ribbon - see picture. Note that for the ladies version the ring is in the same plane as the medal and not at right angles as shown in the two examples above.

Edited by Odin Mk 3

I also forgot to mention that the ribbon widths are different - For the KBE and CBE the ribbon is 1 3/4 " (45mm), for the OBE and MBE it is 1 1/2 " (38mm) and for the British Empire Medal it is 1 1/4 " (32mm).

As mentioned above for evening dress the CBE is worn from a narrower ribbon (minature ribbon)

Being really obtuse, one aspect I am uncertain of is if a woman wears her CBE with other medals - the normal practice is to ditch the bow ribbon and use a conventional ribbon. So I suppose it might be possible for a woman to wear her CBE on the left breast from a normal (1.75") ribbon in front of other medals. However remember her CBE badge is different from the mens because of the top mounting ring being flat.

• 6 months later...

This official instruction sheet is usually missing - it makes interesting reading

Hello i have an identical medal as to the one in the photo awarded to my grand father it also has letters from queen elizabeth all in excellent condition,please could you advise me on how to get a valuation or if you yourself know of its worth ?many thank Carolyn

As information, a lady (unless in uniform) ALWAYS wears a CBE on a bow, even if other medals are worn. In uniform, it is worn as a neck badge in the same manner as a male recipient would wear it - although when a lady receives even a military CBE she will be presented with the insignia on a bow... and then expected to wear it around her neck when in uniform!

Case Open:

hi have a cival cbe with all paper work from 10 downing street and st james palace full size medal looks exactly same as yours do you know the value of item as i am trying to sell any guide would be useful reguards carolyn

Guest Darrell

hi have a cival cbe with all paper work from 10 downing street and st james palace full size medal looks exactly same as yours do you know the value of item as i am trying to sell any guide would be useful reguards carolyn

Depending on where and when you get is appraised, these can be quite expensive. Overall condition is key as well. I'd say anywhere from $600-800 would be in the ballpark.

Depending on where and when you get is appraised, these can be quite expensive. Overall condition is key as well. I'd say anywhere from $600-800 would be in the ballpark.

thanks for that guys was left to me had no idea what it was or what it is worth thankyou