News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Britain's Greatest Machines

Hi all,

I work for a television production company that produces the series 'Britain's Greatest Machines'. I am researching a special we would like to do on the British Empire. I am looking for ideas on what we can feature. I specified weaponry but it could be broader than that.

A few criteria:

British made/invented

A 'great' machine

Used in the building of the British Empire

Any help would be very gladly received,

Regards,

Sean

I would go for...

Maxim machine gun 1884 - world's first automatic (recoil-operated) weapon, heralded the concept of 'industrialized warfare'. Machine guns had existed before this (i.e. Gatling/Gardner) but these had been hand-operated. Hiram Maxim was born in American but adopted British citizenship. Maxim gun used to aid British colonial efforts in Africa 1884-1914, including Rhodesia (where just 4 guns helped 50 British defeat 5000 natives), Sudan and the Boer War in South Africa.

Failing that, I'd say the Brown Bess (Land Pattern Musket) must be a high-profile candiate - the British Army's standard musket which was the first firearm to be made according to a standardized pattern which made the supply of ammo, repair parts, etc much easier. She was in use for over a century (from 1722 to about 1840 - and beyond in some colonial arenas) and was as much a symbol of Empire as anything else I can think of. Esp in reference to the British in India - a special (lighter and shorter) version of the gun was made for the troops attached to the East India Company and would later be adopted as the standard version by the Army in the 1790s - was an effective weapon (along with the Baker Rifle) for Britain during the Napoleonic Wars.

Sounds like an interesting project - good luck!

Helen

Edited by helen

Hi Helen,

Thanks very much indeed for the quick response, I'll have a look at the Brown Bess, sounds like a good icon. Unfortunately the Gatling and Maxim guns weren't British made as far as I know.

Again thankyou for the information, it's invaluable.

Sean

Hi Sean,

the Gatling was certainly American but i think Maxim did develop/patent his machine gun in England after he emigrated from the US in 1881 (although he himself didn't become a British citizen until later). The company/factory Maxim founded to produce his gun was at 57 Hatton Garden, London and is commemorated with a plaque.

Others may have suggestions in terms of larger weapons/artillery etc but small arms are all I know anything about I'm afraid!

Best,

Helen