News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British awards

Hi,

Here is some other British awards, what I would like to share.

Baltic Medal (1854-1855) to John Penston, HMS Pembroke.

I think one of the nicest looking medals what I have at the moment.

Probably impossible to research?

WW1 pair to Indian Army Major.

I have two of his awards - BWM and VM.

I am sure this one is impossible to research but still nice set.

Text on the rim; "Major A.E.B.IND."

Noor,

There is a "Algernon Edward Brise Ind" at Ancestry, http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gl=39&gst=&rank=1&MS_AdvCB=1&new=1&MSAV=2&msT=1&gsfn_x=1&gsln=Ind&gsln_x=1&81004010__date_x=1&msbpn_x=1&msbpn__ftp_x=1&msrpn_x=1&msrpn__ftp_x=1&81004210__date_x=1&rg_81004240__date=1916&81004240__date_x=1&_82004240-gpid_x=1&_82004240__ftp_x=1&gskw_x=1&_83004002_x=1&cpxt=1&rs_81004240__date=5&cp=11&gss=angs-c&ghc=20&fh=20&fsk=BEEy85IIgAAEwwAOg9M-61-

Could be your man.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks Chris!!!cheers.gif

I really didn't hope to find out this man! I was thinking "Ind" was just short of India and the letters before just his initials.

Thank you again!

RAF Lieutenant full name - Goodwin, Reginald William Pardoe

Goodwin, Reginald William Pardoe, Lt

Born English 28/02/1898 at Brighton

With 66 Squadron from 07/10/1918 to 14/11/1918 as pilot

RAeC Certificate 3955 dated 07/12/1916

Eventual fate HE on 14/11/1918

Notes: 05/08/16 2 SMA, 07/09/16 CFS, 18/12/16 9 RS, 27/12/16 25 RS, 22/03/17 CFS "D" Sqn, 26/05/17 Southern Grp Pool, 04/03/18 CFS, 20/09/18 3 FS, 02/10/18 14 Wg 66 Sqn, 14/11/18 Invalided back to England, transferred from flying to admin duties, 23/02/19 demob.

All the best,

Timo

Edited by Noor

66 Squadron was first formed at Filton on 30 June 1916 as a Training Squadron equipped with BE2c,d & e, BE12 and Avroe 504A machines.

The squadron received its first Sopwith Pup on 3 February 1917, and deployed to France on 12 March 1917. The Pup’s were exchanged for Sopwith Camels during October 1917.

The first aeroplane B5402 was collected by Squadron Commander Maj. G.L.P. Henderson.

After fighting on the Western Front the Squadron was sent to Italy in November 1917 and returned to the United Kingdom in March 1919 and was disbanded on 25 October 1919.

66sqncrst.gif

Hi - Timo. The Baltic is a nice medal to have in your collection. Not easily researched, but you may be lucky and have someone turn something-up.

The pair to IND - the naming has not been done at all well - however, he is on the roll as Chris verified. I must admit I didn't think of this as his surname - I've never come across this before.

Your Lt. in the Airforce - with his late joining and discharge in 1919, the pair are probably his only entitlement. However, still a WW1 officer.

Your collection has been coming along nicely in the past few months. Mervyn

thank you guys for all your help and advise!

i haven't got time yet to download Major Ind's MIC but will do it tonight.

he served Staffordshire Regt.

Because name Ind is uncommon, can he be son or relatve to VC winner Alfred Ernest Ind???

I got the "Albert Ernest Ind" part but missed the VC part! :(

Interesting however: rank and name, no unit mentioned. Perhaps a renamed or replacement?

Peter

Major A.E.B. Ind served with the 6th Territorial Battalion of The North Staffordshire Regiment 1914-19 (employed permanent base battalion).

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Paul

Thank you guys for the help and information!

Paul, yes, I found same information from London Gazetta today what shows when he was pointed to rank Major.

Still haven't found time to download MIC. Soon!

So, main question to me remains, is he from VC winner family or not?2014.gif

I got the "Albert Ernest Ind" part but missed the VC part! sad.gif

Interesting however: rank and name, no unit mentioned. Perhaps a renamed or replacement?

Peter

British war medals and Victory medals to officers in the British army were never issued with unit information on them only the 14 and 15 stars had unit info for officers. This Ind pair is 100% correct and there is a very good chance there is a photo of your man somewhere given his rank.

Cheers

Chris

Now, the Baltic medal...

John Penston was Ordinary Seaman. After service on HMS Pembroke, he was sent to HMS Conqueror. While sailing through the Caribbean, the HMS Conqueror was wrecked on Rum on 13 December 1861 due to a navigation error. All 1,400 aboard were saved.

He is not on the China 57 rolls.

(thank you to WPickthumbsup)

With some creative searching, you should also be able to track his career through the London Gazette. For example (note the alternative spelling of "Brice"):

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 2 NOVEMBER, 1914

6th Battalion, The Prince of Wales' s (North Staffordshire Regiment). - Algernon Edward Brice Ind (late Major, 6th Battalion (The Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire Regiment)), to be Major. Dated 2nd October, 1914

Try searching for "A. E. I. Ind", results include:

THE LONDON GAZETTE, DECEMBER 23, 1902.

2nd Volunteer Battalion, The Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire. Regiment}, Lieutenant A. E. B. Ind to be Captain. Dated 24th December, 1902,

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 26 JUNE, 1915.

ATTACHED TO HEADQUARTER UNITS. - ROYAL ARTILLERY.

Brigade Majors — Captain C. O. Langley, 6th Battalion, The South Staffordshire Regiment, Territorial Force, vice Captain A. E. B. Ind, 6th Battalion, The Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire Regiment), Territorial Force. Dated 17th April, 1915.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 7 JUNE, 1917.

War Office,

1th June, 1917.

TERRITORIAL FORCE. - INFANTRY.

North Staffs. Reg. — Maj. (temp.) A. E. B. Ind to be Maj., with precedence as from 2nd Oct. 1014, and to remain seconded. 8th June 1917.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 14 NOVEMBER, 1918

North Staffs. Regt. - Maj. A. E. B. Ind is restored to the estbt., remaining in his present employt. 15th Nov. 1918.

Edited by regimentalrogue

With some creative searching, you should also be able to track his career through the London Gazette. For example (note the alternative spelling of "Brice"):

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 2 NOVEMBER, 1914

6th Battalion, The Prince of Wales' s (North Staffordshire Regiment). - Algernon Edward Brice Ind (late Major, 6th Battalion (The Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire Regiment)), to be Major. Dated 2nd October, 1914

Try searching for "A. E. I. Ind", results include:

THE LONDON GAZETTE, DECEMBER 23, 1902.

2nd Volunteer Battalion, The Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire. Regiment}, Lieutenant A. E. B. Ind to be Captain. Dated 24th December, 1902,

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 26 JUNE, 1915.

ATTACHED TO HEADQUARTER UNITS. - ROYAL ARTILLERY.

Brigade Majors — Captain C. O. Langley, 6th Battalion, The South Staffordshire Regiment, Territorial Force, vice Captain A. E. B. Ind, 6th Battalion, The Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire Regiment), Territorial Force. Dated 17th April, 1915.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 7 JUNE, 1917.

War Office,

1th June, 1917.

TERRITORIAL FORCE. - INFANTRY.

North Staffs. Reg. — Maj. (temp.) A. E. B. Ind to be Maj., with precedence as from 2nd Oct. 1014, and to remain seconded. 8th June 1917.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 14 NOVEMBER, 1918

North Staffs. Regt. - Maj. A. E. B. Ind is restored to the estbt., remaining in his present employt. 15th Nov. 1918.

It is not the VC winner the decoration would have been on his BWM and Victory.

Paul

The naming is correct on Ind's medals - however, Peter wondered about renaming ? I feel that this may have happened - have just 'blown' them-up and there are signs on the Victory of over naming. However, I cannot be 100 % sure - what do others think ? The lettering has been put-on very haphazardly - and officers usually have a little extra care.

Guest Darrell

I think one of the nicest looking medals what I have at the moment.

Once you start collecting all these Victorian Medals ... you start to appreciate the quality and care they took in those days of creating master-piece designs.

Unfortunately as collectors (unknown to those designers of yesteryear) we have to pay the price to obtain examples thereof :unsure:

Once you start collecting all these Victorian Medals ... you start to appreciate the quality and care they took in those days of creating master-piece designs.

Unfortunately as collectors (unknown to those designers of yesteryear) we have to pay the price to obtain examples thereof :unsure:

I suspect Ind's medals may have been a late issue (I have seen similar naming on medals issued in the late 20's and early 30s.)

Paul

Ind, Algernon Edward Brise, Major

Born April, May, June 1875, London

Death Jan-Feb-Mar 1955, Somerset

Awards British War Medal

Victory Medal

Served North Staffordshire Regt. 6th Battalion

4th Employment Base Depot, Labour Corps, France (MIC)

North Staffordshire Regt. 2/6th Battalion TF – formed in 1914, moved to Ireland in 1916 where it was involved in the Easter Rising, served in France 1917–1918. Merged with 1/6th Battalion in July 1918.

The North Staffordshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's) 14728023f577db_o.jpg

The Black Knots

The North Staffordshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's) was an infantry regiment of the British Army, which was in existence between 1881 and 1959. It can date its lineage back to 1756 with the formation of a second battalion by the 11th Regiment of Foot, which shortly after became the 64th (2nd Staffordshire) Regiment of Foot. In 1881, the 64th Foot was merged with the 98th (Prince of Wales's) Regiment of Foot (originally raised in 1824) to form the new regiment.

Formed at a time when the British Empire was reaching its peak, the Regiment served all over the Empire, in times of both peace and war, and in many theatres of war outside the Empire. It fought in World War I and World War II, as well as in other smaller conflicts around the world. These other wars included the Second Sudanese War, the Second Boer War, the Anglo-Irish War and the Third Anglo-Afghan War.

Sources:

Wikipedia

http://www.ancestry.co.uk

London Gazette

Medal Index Card

147278894abf89_l.jpg

14727891aaa119_l.jpg