News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Czech in the RAF, WWII

Gentlemen

A small shop in my town has for sale a War Medal & a Defence Medal in the box of issue, with unused ribbons, a guide to wearing and the award document/certificate. They were awarded to "Sq. Ldr. Z. J. Pekarek" and there is a stamp for RAF Farnborough [i think - didn't have a pen] and a signature 'squiggle squiggle Smith'

A Supplement to The London Gazette of 6 AUG 1954 lists "Emergency List": The undermentioned relinquish their commissions under the provisions of the Navy, Army and Air Forces Act, 1954, and have been granted permission to retain rank with effect from 10 February, 1954. ...

"Flight Lieutenants retaining the rank of Squadron Leader... Sq. Ldr Z. J. Petarek (84574)"

Petarek is apparently a Czech name, a deminutive of "Petar", which means 'baker'.

Is this gent likley to be researchable? And, is anyone interested in owning this pair of medals - the seller is asking $150.00 Cdn. for them. I don't know whether that is negotiable but am willing to enquire.

Peter

Edited by peter monahan