News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The medals of Spanish Morocoo wars

VFMR

Hi!

These are the medals of Spanish Morocoo Wars

First: Medal of Rif campaign, two categorie: soldiers and NCO's in bronze/officers in silver, stablished in 1910 by King Alfonso XIII.

Possible action clasp:

SIDI HAMET EL HACH-GURUGU

QUEBDANA

TAXDIRT-HIDUM-ZOCO EL HAD

NADOR-ZELUAN-ZOCO EL JEMIS

ATLATEN

PEÑON DE ALHUCEMAS

KERT

GARET DE BENI BU YAHI

BENI BU GAFAR

BENI SIDEL

Medal for officers with two action clasp, Medina's maker mark, mobile crown.

Edited by VFMR

Morocoo campaign medal, stablished in 1916, two categories: soldiers and NCO's in bronze/officers in silver

Possible action clasp:

MELILLA

TETUAN

LARACHE

Edited by VFMR

Another medal was stablished in 1915 and abolished in 1916 with the new medal of Morocoo campaign, the medal is the same but the inscription "Marruecos" is changed as "Africa"m I haven't a photo in my archive, when I'll have one I will edit this topic.

Medal of Africa, stablished in 1912, for services that can't be awarded with the Rif campaign medal.

Possible clasp:

CASABLANCA

LARACHE

LARACHE-ALCAZAR

CEUTA

TETUAN

FERNANDO POO

A sample of this medal with three action clasp:

In 1931 IInd Republic ordered that all campaign medals of Monarchy period must changed for this medal called "Campaigns medal", only one cathegory, and three possible campaign clasp: Cuba, Filipinas and Marruecos.

This sample, have a wound ribbon and Marruecos campaign clasp in silver and enamels (usually the officers use silver clasp, sometimes with enamels, and soldiers use the standard action/campaign clasp in copper or bronce, also in the others medals of Rif and Morocoo campagin).

Hi..

do you have any award documents?

Mmm....I'm sure that the Morocco peace medal have his own award document, but the others haven't a own award document, I attached a photo of this doc from a web site. I've a good collection of spanish docs, and a doc group from a famous Navy officer, when time permits, will write a article, but must be in few months..becuase I will receive more information from some Military Archives of Spain.

The Morocoo wars was really a brutal war, was a "merciless war" I'm not sure if it's the correct word.....the insurgents never take prisioners, and wounds were abandoned on battle fields..a lot of heroic episodes, the Igueriben defenders were a good example, spanish army in Morocoo was one of the best of this period, not for technology, not for best weapons....but these soldiers were awarded with many valour and gallantry decorations aganist a brutal enemy.

And of course it's a great matter for collectors and researchers!! I don't know if exist books about in english...but anyway, I can share information about here