News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Irish Guards were formed on 1/4/1900 & the first recruit to the regiment was enlisted on 21/4/1900.

Formed in appreciation of the Irish units which had served in the Boer War, the regiment was open to Irish soldiers who were serving in the other Guards & line infantry regiment

Originally nicknamed Bobs Own after Lord Roberts, an Irishman & the first Colonel of the regiment, they were known by WWI as The Micks.

The design of the cap badge has remained the same through the life of the regiment: the 8 pointed star of the Order of St Patrick, a circular band in the centre carrying the regimental motto "QUIS SEPARABIT" ("Who Shall Separate Us") & "MDCCLXXXIII" (1783 the year the Order of St Patrick was created).

The buttons bear a crowned harp.

Fourth in seniority amongst the five regiments of Foot Guards, The Irish Guards wear a St. Patrcks blue plume in their bearskins, a green band & piping on their caps & their tunic front buttons spaced in fours with 4 buttons on each cuff.

This cap bears a gold anodised version of the cap badge, sealed 20/5/1953 (Kipling & King Vol 2 page 26) & gold anodised buttons bearng the current Queen Elizabeth II's St Edward's Crown over the harp.

The chinstrap is of leather, as appears to be the peak (rather than the later plastc)& the peak has a brass rim as worn by the rank of Guardsman - ranks of Lance Sergeant & above wore an additional band of brass on the peak.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Leigh

I have never seen a Guardsmans cap without the wire stiffner in the top and that 'Officers' look would not have been tolerated. (A polite way of saying 'Lock that Guardsman up!')

Here is the colour image from 'His majestys British Army'

Yes, like a Tankies beret is'nt it - I bought about half a dozen caps a few days ago, including a fairly modern Grenadiers & a Welsh Guards Muscians cap - looks old but has anod buttons - but then I suppose the anod buttons would have come in 50-odd years ago.

The shape of this Irish Guards cap is similar to the way officers in various units wore theirs, the saddle effect.

I'll be rooting around for irish Guards stuff I have Merv, the usual scrapbook effect of insignia & photos etc.

Just to add a few bits and pieces of Irish Guards items that I have in my collection.

Up first a standard beret for a Guardsman with recent issue cap badge.

Next a full dress shoulderboard for a captain in the Irish Guards, followed by a full dress shoulderboard for an NCO.

• 3 weeks later...
    • 7 years later...

The British section on GMIC does seem very quiet at the moment so I have been going through a few old files and decided to post what I have found, Leigh started this thread many years ago along with other Regimental threads which I used to enjoy very much, They are, for me a good way of assembling images and information to Regiments in one reference source.

Here is a postcard I used to have showing an Irish Guardsman serving with the Guards Armoured Brigade and wearing the distinctive 'Ever Open Eye' formation patch and 'Irish Guards' shoulder flash on his battle dress blouse.

irish gds.jpg

Please feel free to add anything you have to these Regimental threads or even start a new one!

Simon

This card shows a Piper of the Irish Guards probably taken in the postwar National Service era. Of note is the Pipers Caubeen style headress with oversized Regimental badge and saffron coloured kilt.

irish gds 2.jpg

This photograph, again probably from the National Service era shows the Home Service clothing being worn and clearly shows the Regimental distinctions of buttons in 4's, shamrock collar badges and St Patricks blue plume worn on the right side of the bearskin cap.

SUNP0095.JPG

And this card shows the khaki coloured forage cap in wear with Regimental cap star.

SUNP0094.JPG

• 1 year later...

Here is one of the first Irish Guards members.....    His enlistment date was the 22nd of April, 1900 and he was sent to South Africa to serve in the Boer War within 3 months.....

A few pictures for your enjoyment.....

Irish Guards Mounted Infantry, No. 2 Company, 2 Section

His Medal  

and his Bed Plate

Mike

2ndMountedInfantrySectionIrishGuards1902.jpg

IRISH003268x605.jpg

IRISH005605x198.jpg

IRISH007605x209.jpg

IRISH BED PLATE.jpg

• 1 year later...