News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Prussian SWA medal bar with Kalahari 08 bar

Hello Paul:

An interesting group. I never have a good feeling though when I see a silver-gilt MVO "3rd" with swords these days. Often, they are gilded 4th Class with swords pieces made to deceive collectors. Also, considering the source of this particular item (who has sold some items in the past that I would possibly consider questionable), I would tend to be cautious. With that being said, without actually inspecting the piece in person, no definitive conclusions can be drawn.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Thanks for posting the images, Paul. I bought this one admittedly on a bit of a hunch, and having it in hand, it certainly all looks period. The BMVO has wear to the high points, so it has been on the bar for a long time. The overall wear to the ribbons is even, and everything seems OK on it. I also have a matching feldspange which looks good. The PKO is a hollow gilt item, and the RAO is marked for Godet.

Nice ribbon bar! I like swords device on it.

EK2 ribbon looks strange a little pit - white stripes looks like smaller then usually.

Did you used black light?

What experts think? I think it is original period set.blush.gif

Ok...I am far away of being an expert for MVOs or KOs , replaced or not - I don`t know....... I tell you what I think when I look at the bar , three points jump into my eyes....

1. You can see from the bar that this was an officer with long service etc... 25 years cross is on the bar , in service 1897 .... ok .... but when he was in DSWA and took active part in the war allowing him to wear a battle clasp - but he got no officers combattant award for this... only peacetime orders on the bar before ww1

2. In the war he got a prussian combattant EK2 (or maybe homefront....who knows) and a bavarian order on the ribbon for officials in war service / homefront - the so called "Beamtenband" - is it possible for a pure prussian career to be a bavarian official in ww1 ?

3. have a look at the threads the orders and awards are fixed with.... they had some different colours... why not use the best colour for each order - a yellow thread on a white crown order ? Why not use the white thread from the read eagle....

Just my thoughts , maybe I am completely on the wrong way...

The group looks cool , no question , but I am a bit ..... hmmmm .... nervous

Edited by HeikoGrusdat

Thanks for the input so far. I have the same feelings about this bar, especially the sewing using different color thread, and the funny combination. I thought this before I bought it, but since I paid a low price, I thought I would take the chance. Having the group in hand, I do not think it is put together, although I am going to do the black light test on it, once I get a new black light this week. I have looked very closely at the BMVO, especially the medallions, and they are a match for other examples of the fourth class which I have. The gilding looks good, with consistent wear to the high points. I am confused by the non-statute order of mounting. It almost looks as if the BMVO and the PKO were switched out at some point, perhaps for higher grades of the orders, but this was not done recently for sure. The ribbon bar looks absolutely correct in construction and wear as well. If this is a forgery, it is the work of a real master. I'm going to send better scans to some other members, so feel free to put them up on this thread for discussion, as I have a compatibility problem with my computer and this site.

Bernd Doebel also thinks this is a gilded fourth class, so I would defer to the experts. I am puzzled about this, as the medal clearly was not altered recently, and has been on the spange a long time, judging from the wear to the high points. So what do we have here? Certainly not a complete fantasy spange, as most elements make sense, along with the feldspange. A period spange with altered BMVO? Doesn't make sense to me. Are there records from Weiss stating that they never made a third class, or is this just conjecture based on existing examples?

Are there records from Weiss stating that they never made a third class, or is this just conjecture based on existing examples?

Fact is that Hemmerle made100 pieces, Leser made 200, Weiß zero. 246 were awarded, remaining items stayed in stock.

Weiss produced 4th classes only.

3rd classes last type are NEVER just gilded 4th classes, construction was completely different which makes it easy to detect faked items.

Edited by militaria0815

I had a look at a scan of the battle clasp. I´m not really sure but it don´t look good to me.

I compared the recipients of the BMVO 3x am Band für Kriegsverdienst with the guys who stayed at GSWA. There were two of them. One of them was also entitled to wear the KALAHARI bar but their medals don´t fit to this bar.

Bernd