News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wei Pei Fu Award

alex82

This appears to be a very poor copy of the Wu Peifu Merit Medal. Wu is the family name and Peifu was his given name. The genuine medal measures 55 x 51 mm in diameter and has a gilt wash. The portrait medallion is usually a separate part of the medal and done in excellent cloisonne. The Back should be sky (powder) blue with a red band on the outside circumference inside of which are two crossed flags in vivid color. I believe I placed a picture of one in the OMSA medal data base.

Dick

Thank you very much for your reply, I agree that the medal looks faded out in comparison to the one on OMSA, but this is done (like the one on OMSA) in porous printig on metal which easily fades over the years. The ribbon, hock and medal looks real to me, the back is just broken out. But of course this is just my opinion, I never had one of these medal or saw one in real I only compared the pictures which leads mi conclusion that this is not a fake.

I couldn't find a Picture of the Backside on OMSA or any other website or book do you have on of these medals in your collection Dick?

best regards

a l e x

Thank you very much for your reply, I agree that the medal looks faded out in comparison to the one on OMSA, but this is done (like the one on OMSA) in porous printig on metal which easily fades over the years. The ribbon, hock and medal looks real to me, the back is just broken out. But of course this is just my opinion, I never had one of these medal or saw one in real I only compared the pictures which leads mi conclusion that this is not a fake.

I couldn't find a Picture of the Backside on OMSA or any other website or book do you have on of these medals in your collection Dick?

best regards

a l e x

Alex:

What you say is quite true. The medal could look that way do to exposure over the years but I think some of the gilt wash would have remained. Sory to say I do not have any of Wu Beifu's medals. I wish that I did. However this medal is in the Harry Mohler collection at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. I can publish the back of the medal if you like.

Best Regards,

Dick

Dick:

I think the problem in Chinese medals is that there are so many fakes around that almost every medal is under suspicion to be wrong. I would for sure love to see a picture of the backside here this would be a good reference it one of these medals shows up in the future.

thank you all very much and best regards

a l e x

Dick:

I think the problem in Chinese medals is that there are so many fakes around that almost every medal is under suspicion to be wrong. I would for sure love to see a picture of the backside here this would be a good reference it one of these medals shows up in the future.

thank you all very much and best regards

a l e x

Hello Alex:

I will try and attach a photo of the backside of the medal for you. The reverse looks better than the obverse.

Best Regards,

Dick