News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What do you know about Bavarian MVOs and MVKs

And this is my Bavarian cross II class from Gebrude Hammerle marked with GH on swords.

Owner a brave NCO.

@Avadski

Is this the medal Bar you was looking for? rolleyes.gif

Yep, that's the one :)

I already got mine this week.

Could you please post a close up of that 2nd class?

well, here is my contribution-acquired many years ago from Spinks. Did I get burned?

For the beginning...it was made by Hemmerle. So one OK given for the maker who was authorized to produce the 1. class. However the picture is too bad to give final verdict.

In 99% of cases the enamel around the belt buckle means that the cross was made by 'monkey fingers', as Rick used to say. There was however at least one exception. At the very late stages of the war and most likely after the war as well Deschler made 2nd class crosses with the white enamel everywhere in the buckle. Here's the close up of such cross.

Edited by avadski

Here is a close up of my BMVK II class from mm G.Hemmerle -Munich

Cross seems to be nice original. What about the second button? Was there an enamel repair? Maybe a manufacturing defect...Hemmerle did not produce that level of quality which is seen with pieces from Leser or Weiss...

Not seems....

IT "IS" original ( let me know also my dear Slovakian friend about these Bavarians as I collect them also some time now ;) )

As for the enamel, it's not a manufacturer defect, some of them was out there in the field exposed to various war and weather conditions.

Now that I took some time to make a new shot, feel free to take a pic of your new Medal Bar to see what style is (If it's Bavarian style or plain I mean)

Kind regards

Emanuel

Edited by Emanuel

My bar should arrive next week. Then I can post pics but don't expect some amazing stuff. Same as yours but starts with EK2, then Leser 3rd class and DA for 9 years. As this would be my first bar I have no clue what the plain or Bavarian style is supposed to be :rolleyes: To me it simply looks like yours :beer:.

Wow. What would it be next year for? 400 EUR?

Yes because it is worth 400 (already in this year!!) and if I had seen it before I had bought it for m uch more! Buying for low money is always a good thing and a good target but one should not forget how rare some things are and how the sales price of rare stuff is.

Maybe I have different price expectations but to me reasonable prices are:

- MVK3X - 25 EUR

- MVK3XC - 40 EUR

- MVK2X - 120 EUR

- MVK2XC - 200 EUR

- MVK1X - 450 EUR

Regarding etuis - I would not pay more that 20 EUR for paper one and 30 EUR for box for 3rd class, 80-100 EUR for 2nd class and 200 for the 1. class.

But maybe I'm just a dreamer :whistle:

But I agree with you regarding the rarity of the item. I haven't seen a single one for sale in recent years. To me it's just a question of preference. Maybe you already have couple of 1. classes and an etui would be a good addition to your collection. For me to have at least one 1. class cross would be the same achievement.

By coincidence here's another etui from eBay. This time being sold with something that looks like MVO without swords.

Nice set but not matching. 1st type MVKs were awarded until 1905, J.Leser got his first contract to produce Bavarian medals in 1906.

Nice set but not matching. 1st type MVKs were awarded until 1905, J.Leser got his first contract to produce Bavarian medals in 1906.

Very good piece of information. Do you by chance know when were the other makers authorized? Weiss, Hemmerle, Lauer and Deschler?

Very good piece of information. Do you by chance know when were the other makers authorized? Weiss, Hemmerle, Lauer and Deschler?

1. Hausinger 1845 - 1876

2. Elchinger took over Hausinger, 1876 - 1892

3. Hemmerle took over Elchinger, since 1893, still in business

4. Quellhorst I. 1838 - 1868

5. Quellhorst II. 1868 - 1901

6. Weiß took over Quellhorst II. 1903 - 1930

7. Leser 1906, still in business as jewellers

Lauer no dates but still in business. Deschler no dates, maybe still in business.