News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What do you know about Bavarian MVOs and MVKs

What can you look for to make sure the medal is not a fake? What are the numbers I see listed sometimes on the swords?

Here some pictures of the medal and a description of the medal.

Military Merit cross 2nd class with crown & swords, type 3. 1913-1921. 22.8gr. 42x67mm. Alpaka=silver plated. On ribbon for military officials. In case of issue by Jocob Leser, Straubing. OEK.428

What can you look for to make sure that a Bavarian MVK medal is not a fake? What are the numbers that I see listed sometimes on the swords?

Here are some pictures of the medal and a description of it.

Military Merit cross 2nd class with crown & swords, type 3. 1913-1921. 22.8gr. 42x67mm. Alpaka=silver plated. On ribbon for military officials. In case of issue by Jocob Leser, Straubing. OEK.428

Hi, what you posted is an MVK 2nd class with swords and crown by Jacob Leser, their 2nd model in production dated about 1915. In case of this maker it's important to look at the quality of enamel. Jacob Leser was well known for top quality products with state-of-the-art enamel work. From the small pictures I cannot tell if the cross is OK or not. It has some decent enamel and some patina on the silver as well - both are good signs of the cross being authentic but one has to hold it in hand and examine closer to be 100% sure. I can also see some damage to the enamel? which always reduces the price of these pieces (they are fairly common).

Here are some closer pictures Do you think this is worth $350.00. I have been looking for a class two with a crown and swords for

a while and have not been able to find one. Ths is the only one that I have found. Do you think that it is not a fake? What are the numbers and letters that I see mentioned on some of these medals? I don't see any on this one?

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2012/post-6513-0-17707900-1338690595.jpg.

Hi, the letters and numbers you usually see on these pieces are hallmarks of makers (letters) and silver content marks (numbers - but you can only find numbers on Mlitary Merit Order not Cross). Common letters are G.H. for Gebruder Hemmerle, WCo for Weiss & Co. or D for Deschler. I have never seen an MVK hallmarked by Jacob Leser, they only marked their MVOs.

New pictures unfortunately does not help me much...it looks good but it's not 100%. As regards the price well that's for sure not a bargain. On eBay these crosses are usually sold between 120-200 EUR, depending on maker, variation and condition. With the enamel damage seen on your pictures i think 150 EUR is really the maximum one should pay for this cross.

• 7 months later...

Hello,

This is my first Imperial German medal that came with a nice award document from 1917 which appears to be awarded to an Anton Heinzl on 17 Sept 1917, along with two photographs (of two different soldiers).

I understand it is the MKV3wX, just wondering if someone could tell me the maker? Also I'm just starting to learn about Imperial German awards, is it possible this decoration could be a Bavarian soldier's sole entitlement for the War or would he have had to receive the EK2 as well? Any information or comments is very appreciated, thanks.

Jeff

Hi Christer, that would be excellent! I will see if I can have someone translate it as the cursive is difficult to make out, I will also try and post a larger image of the document if it may be easier to read. Thanks, Jeff

Hi Jeff , I think I got him :jumping:

Gefr Anton Heinzl from Landsturm Infanterie Batallion Landshut

The BMVK II X is dated Oct 6 1917 but I think there was often a time between award date and Award recieved.

He was in Reserve Inf Rgt 12 earlier and 2 Sept - 24 Sept 1915 he was in Feld Lazarett Passau , later 14 Nov 1917 to % Dec 1917 in Feld Lazarett 95.

What do you think about this one ?? It was complete with box

I was bidding but it went for 306 euro , is it real then it was a nice price .... otherwise pew

This MVK 2a is from Leser (2nd or 3rd type). I´m quite sure, that swords had been removed. Didn´t it also have a mark "900" in the cylinder? Since autumn 1914 just the medaillons for the 2nd classes were made from silver (contract with the makers), so the mark was not genuine.

Jeffseka: your MVK shown in post 286/288 was made by Deschler, who used marks not on every MVK.

Regards

Rudi

Thanks as well Rudi for identifying the maker on the BMVK3X. I noticed as well the ribbon is sewn in a sort of diamond shape (the top of the ribbon has each corner folded at an angle and sewn, rather than straight across), has anyone encountered this style before?

Jeff

• 1 month later...

I thought I would show the beautiful boxes for the MVK , if I´m right there was 5 different makers for the MVK III

so here they are with their respective boxes.

First out is Deschler & Sohn from Munchen , the MVKs from Deschler is often marked with a D on one sword.

Note the fantastic lock for the box , small but a true piece of art.

Christer