News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What do you know about Bavarian MVOs and MVKs

Can someone explain how to identify each type ? I possess 5 or 6 cross, and I'd like to know the maker !

:cheers:

In most cases it's the swords, then the body. Post the pics and I can tell you which makers you have there.

1) Deschler

2) Weiss & Co.

3) Deschler

PS...Deschler sometimes used to mark their crosses with 'D' on the edge of the swords. Cannot see that on the photos you posted.

Edited by avadski

My first class with sword, also by Deschler...

:cheers:

Unfortunately a fake my friend.

There are two reasons for that which are obvious at the first glance:

1) Deschler never made this class

2) Look at the poor enamel work around the belt buckle and compare it with the perfect work with your 2nd class with swords and crown.

...now you know why do I have the 'scream' in my signature in bold and red - looking for good MVK 1. class.

It's really really hard to find a good one.

Sorry for bad news :(

Gentlemen,

Thank for your interest and contributions. I, for one, have learned quite a lot already. To keep things moving along,

here a 3rd class cross which looks very much like the cross in posts #2 & #3...

but there is one big difference which does not come through clearly in the pictures. The body of the cross in posts #2 and #3 is made of zinc, while this one is war metal.

Keep them coming, there’s still a lot to be covered, and learned.

Edited by Wild Card

but there is one big difference which does not come through clearly in the pictures. The body of the cross in posts #2 and #3 is made of zinc, while this one is war metal.

Keep them coming, there’s still a lot to be covered, and learned.

Hello, what was the difference between zinc and war metal? I thought they were the same.

Hello, what was the difference between zinc and war metal? I thought they were the same.

Since everyone is posting their MVK's - here is a pic of my 1st class

Has a mark on the sword - letter o and something I cannot make out

Any suggestion on real/fake and maker?

Also here is a 2nd class that has enamel on both sides!

Any ideas on that?

Also here is a 2nd class that has enamel on both sides!

Any ideas on that?

Regarding your 2nd class, the cross seems to be made by Lauer who applied the enamel only on the obverse. The quality of the enamel work is also very poor so unfortunately it's an upgraded piece. There indeed existed period copies purchased for wearing which had double-enameled medallions, I think they were made by Godet (in 20's) however this does not seem to be the case.

Regarding you first class the photo's not perfect. What I can see is that the cross seems to be made by Weiss & Co. Here I'm not quite sure but I think they made only early pieces (up to 1916) which have the 'L' in the center made out of pure gold and attached separately. So again I'm not very positive with this piece as well. Better photos would reveal the truth.

Just noticed your comment about mark on your 1. class... Could that be WCo. (for Weiss&Co.)?

Regarding you first class the photo's not perfect. What I can see is that the cross seems to be made by Weiss & Co. Here I'm not quite sure but I think they made only early pieces (up to 1916) which have the 'L' in the center made out of pure gold and attached separately. So again I'm not very positive with this piece as well. Better photos would reveal the truth.

Well here is a better picture of the enamel - hope it is better - need a new camera!

I will say the l does look like gold by the patina

What kind of marks did weiss put on there crosses?

On the 2nd class enamel on both and yes kind of rough - but you think both are ok period pieces?

Well here is a better picture of the enamel - hope it is better - need a new camera!

I will say the l does look like gold by the patina

What kind of marks did weiss put on there crosses?

On the 2nd class enamel on both and yes kind of rough - but you think both are ok period pieces?

well i was able to move the sword enough - very tight - to see a W then a C and then the clearly visible o so i guess that would confirm

well i was able to move the sword enough - very tight - to see a W then a C and then the clearly visible o so i guess that would confirm

This is how a Weiss up to 1916 looked like:

As I said, I'm not sure whether they made any first classes after 1916.

This is how a Weiss up to 1916 looked like:

http://gmic.co.uk/up...-1187082572.jpg

As I said, I'm not sure whether they made any first classes after 1916.

Well from a detail standpoint mine looks the same - the only difference is the enamel in the center is higher - as they added more of the black than in the one pictured above - so mine is closer to flat but not flat

I guess the good thing on the markings is they are not obvious - have to work to see the W and the C - sword is very very tight

Overall this is a nice feeling and looking medal