News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Endley Collection-Starting a helmet/headdress room

After their two excellent books on military pith and wolseley helmets respectively, I have been influenced and encouraged by Peter Siciu and Stauart Bates to focus more on this very fascinating aspect of militaria collecting.

Due to the nature of the work that I do, I am often abroad and do not spend as much time as I would like on displaying and maintaining my collection.

These postings depict the beginnings of my helmet and headdress display.

I have had my computer room/office converted to a helmet display area in my house.

Regards,

Will

Some "polo" helmets used by the Union Defence Force during World War 2. The Wolseley helmets in the photograph were used in South Africa before 1936 and include a rare helmet to the 5th South African Infantry that was worn in East Africa during WW1. Another helmet is to the 9th South African Infantry or "Sportsman"s Battalion for the WW1 East African campaign.

The two South African Airforce ceremonial helmets which were worn before and during WW2 respectively. They are the white helmets with "eagle" spikes below the brodie helmet with the tank mask. To the left of the tank mask is a Brodie WW1 helmet with it's original camouflage paint still visible.

The Brodie helmets in the photograph were re-issued during WW2 and were used by the 23rd and 25th Gas Companies from the South African Engineer Corps.

The white polo helmet on the bottom right shelf was worn by the State President's Guard and was based on the WW2 South African UDF design.

The scarce grey-green polo helmet was worn before WW2 by the Pretoria Regiment.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2010/post-3034-127251826031.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2010/post-3034-127251826336.jpg

South African Police Wolseley pattern type helmets.

The helmet with the white metal badge on the far right was issued to non-white member's and is regarded as being very rare.

Bombay bowler helmet that I purchased in Baghdad in 2004, Italian helmet and a very interesting Italian "polo" helmet that may have been captured from South African forces at Tobruk.

It has Italian military medical insignia on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Will,

you certainly haven't wasted any time in collecting sun helmets :D

I am intrigued by the blue police ones and am left wondering whether the blue Wolseleys that I found in the York Castle Museum may after all be prototypes for a police force.

Stuart

• 7 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...