News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Real Band of Brothers

How about a thread on The Scottish Horse? I have a few photos & badges.

And while your'e at it, one on The Paras?

Leigh

That would be great! Do you want to kick it off!?

Heres one of the paras just to get you excited!! off%20topic.gif

Notice the proper Helmets not that plastic stuff!! LOL

167cb188.jpg

Edited by fallschirmjager

• 1 month later...

OK, back to post #22. The soldier in the foreground could be the East Kent (Buffs) but the flash is too indistinct for me to tell. However, the other soldier showing a flash which I think (thought?) was the Duke of Wellington's Regiment would, if DOW is correct, gel with the Buffs as they both formed part of the 13th Brigade under Lt-Gen. C.E. Knox. This brigade formed part of the VIth Division under General Kelly-Kenny.

The 2nd Buffs sailed on the Gaika on 22nd December, 1899 and arrived at the Cape on 13th January, 1900. The 1st West Riding (DOW's) sailed on the Orient on 30th December, 1899 and arrived at the Cape on 21st January 1900.

All a bit tenuous I know...

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

Stuart

Interesting stuff - do you know if there were any Scottish Units in that brigade as that may help identify things?

Now the 2'd Buffs fought at Bakenlaagte - I'm getting excited about this now....

Mike

Edited by fallschirmjager

Here you go -

"The Buffs formed part of Colonel Benson's column when it was attacked at Baakenlaagte on 30th October 1901. The rear-guard, which was the object of the enemy's main attack, was composed of two companies of Mounted Infantry, two squadrons Scottish Horse..."

This is from Our Regiments in South Africa by John Stirling.

The 13th Brigade consisted of 2nd Buffs, 2nd Glosters, 1st West Riding and 1st Oxford L.I.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

• 4 weeks later...

Here you go -

"The Buffs formed part of Colonel Benson's column when it was attacked at Baakenlaagte on 30th October 1901. The rear-guard, which was the object of the enemy's main attack, was composed of two companies of Mounted Infantry, two squadrons Scottish Horse..."

This is from Our Regiments in South Africa by John Stirling.

The 13th Brigade consisted of 2nd Buffs, 2nd Glosters, 1st West Riding and 1st Oxford L.I.

Stuart

Stuart

Thanks for this. Looking at the pictures it does look like 'Scottish' or Scottish colonial units are in the pictures and they were most likely taken by someone who lived in Edinburgh or was demobbed there! So it is unlikely to be the 13th Brigade? Not sure where that leaves us, guess i need to look through the pics again and see if i can spot any clues to post!!

Mike