News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Boer War Period Folding Knives

Dear All

Does anyone have any pictures of british issue folding knives from the Boer War period. I picked up two at the weekend. One is a dark ivory colour and the other seems to be black wood. But the ivory one is smaller than the dark wood one. The dard wood one has WD and arrow and the No 4. The other only has manufacturers mark?

Cheers Mike

Dear All

Does anyone have any pictures of british issue folding knives from the Boer War period. I picked up two at the weekend. One is a dark ivory colour and the other seems to be black wood. But the ivory one is smaller than the dark wood one. The dard wood one has WD and arrow and the No 4. The other only has manufacturers mark?

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike,

I can't help you there but is it possible to post some photos of the knives. I know there will be several members besides me who would like to see them.

Regards

Brian

the top one is approx 10.5cm long and has ivory handles the bottom one is approx 12.5cm long and has a wooden handle with a number stampped into the handle. From what I can see they both appear to be Boer war or earlier design. The top one is made by SHARP LIVERPOOL and has no WD marking. The bottom one is made by HG LONG and CO SHEFFIELD and has a W D and WD Crows foot marking and a '4'.

The non-wooden handled one (& possibly the other?) has scales of horn. I have two or three of these somewhere, but with checkered black leather, & a longer one with aluminium grips, I get confused between Boer War, WWI & WWII issues, if they're not dated.

Edited by leigh kitchen
    Spelling

The marked one is a Navy issue rigging knife and I imagine the other is private purchase. They were worn on a lanyard around the neck to keep from being lost when in the rigging. The spike, or fid, was used for splicing lines.

The slabs of the top one are cow horn.

Thats interesting, how do you know it is a navy knife as i was under the impression there was a standard british knife issued to all troops including mounted troops who also had uses for the spike?

Indeed there is a number impressed into the wood, its a bit difficult to read however!

Mike

They are both Boer War period knives. The larger one is the most common pattern and is Army issue. I haven't seen the other type before but there are a number of variants, and it could also be Army issue. It is a bit small but some variants are.

By WW1 a tin opener had been added and there was less variation. The standard pattern had chequered grips, though a variant purchased from Canada (and, less commonly, made in the UK) has plain metal sides.

Regards,

W.

Thats interesting, how do you know it is a navy knife as i was under the impression there was a standard british knife issued to all troops including mounted troops who also had uses for the spike?

Indeed there is a number impressed into the wood, its a bit difficult to read however!

Mike

My error :blush: The Cavalry would use the spike for removing stones, etc. from their horses' hooves among other things.

This same type of knife has been used by sailors for ages, thus my case of foot in mouth.

Many thanks on this chaps, I'm glad they are Boer War period, I'll see if I can work out the number on the side and then its possibly traceable to an individual which would be nice! The smaller knife to me is possibly not military issue - light horn handles and no WD marking - were unmarked light horn handled knives ever issued?

Somone mentioned a book that the smaller variant may be in but can't remember the books name - anyone any ideas!?

Mike

We use to see these here in Canada thrown in a display case of odds and ends at antiques shops years ago. No one wanted them (antiques collectors) as, first of all they were not what they collected and secondly they were not "pretty". You could make the dealer an offer of a couple of dollars and you had your knife. Now they realize what they are and you occasionaly see them in the same shops but they are treated with more respect as a collectable. More respect in antiques dealer's language means higher prices.

Regarding the horn-handled specimen. I've seen this style of knife offered, newly made, in sports stores. So I know that this style of knife has been sold privately for a long time. I wonder if modern "sport" sailors use the spike for rigging?

The grips on the modern versions are plastic or aluminum-looking metal, at least on the ones I've seen.

Regards

Brian