News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Yugoslavia - Royal Air Force Pilot badge

Hi there, could somebody please help me out on this one- seller is claiming that no maker marks are evident but that the badge is original. It does look good, but it could be well made fake:shame:

I was under impression that only three makers were producing this badge- Kovnica Sorlini-Varazdin, Karnet Kysely,

Prague and Stevan Orescanin-Begrade, and all their work was marked. I have heard of WW2 models done in exile, but

I am not so sure of those

Thanks

Dear Andrej,

Personally I do not know to answer your question, as these badges have been heavily copied, this from a first look, seems original to me, ( coz I saw some copies, but we might have to do with a very good example this time)

BUT, I message a good friend that happen to collect them and he knows for sure if its a COPY or not, as he is the best to answer to you in this field and I am sure he will give you a accurate answer to your question.

I send him the link and hope he will come around to give you his input.

Regards

Emanuel

Hi Andrej,

I would prefer more detailed pics and maybe without screws;

I can't be sure jet....

Ok, this is the best i can get at the moment. Seller is away and he could only provide me with the photos that are little bit sharper. I cropped few details as well. It appears there is something under the top screw, looks like something broken...maybe old pin?

Ok, this is the best i can get at the moment. Seller is away and he could only provide me with the photos that are little bit sharper. I cropped few details as well. It appears there is something under the top screw, looks like something broken...maybe old pin?

And few more

And the back

I must say if it is a fake, it very well made fake. What worries me is a very low number. On top of that seller claims that the badge belonged to a Czech pilot.

Any comments would be appreciated

Cheers

Ok, I did bit of research and it appears that this particular model looks like Stojan Orescanin model (not Stevan Orescanin as I thought:speechless:. He is the jeweler from who's shop the Yugoslav Order of Freedom came out-nice)

The crown on this badge is different than KK and Sorlini models.

However, I found out that ALL Stojan Orescanin models were marked with two marks- Serbian mark for silver and SO for the maker.

In addition, the numbering on SO models should be above the number 1000

Here are few photos:

Edited by Andrej75

• 6 years later...

Good day, gentlemen.

I have an interest in this discussion as I was given a similar set of silver wings about forty five years years ago. I was about 10 years of age. A friend of my father was a nurse during WW II, and she nursed a Jugoslav pilot back to health. Apparently he gave her his wings as a thank you gift, and these were subsequently given to me. I went on to became a pilot in the South African Air Force for 22 years.

The wings I have are solid silver, with the number 1719 imprinted on the back. I recollect a name of Rajko Jovtich (spelling) being associated with these wings. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

IMG_3156.jpg

Greetings Andy and welcome to the forum.
    Very interesting story, thank you for sharing it with us. Are you looking for information regarding the owner of the badge or the badge itself? Based on the number I'd say it's probably made by Kovnica Sorlini (Mint Sorlini from Varaždin), if so it should have KS hallmark on the back side. 
    As for the surname Jovtić (Serbian spelling) it doesn't sound familiar, I don't think I ever heard of it. I wouldn't say it's impossible but Jevtić (Jevtich) or Jović (Jovich) sound more likely. 
    Regards

Edited by paja