News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Boer War, China and WWI Group

According to the inscriptions on the medals, J.J Dougherty was a trumpeter in the Boer War, and during the Boxer Rebellion of 1900 ( where he received the Taku Forts bar ), then Sergeant during WWI

24482 in the 62 company RGA then

281977 R.A during WWI

Also has the bronze 1902 Coronation medal

I can find him on the National Archives site for WWI but nowhere as yet for earlier campaigns

It's a nice group of QSA with three bars, China with Taku, WWI WM and VM, WWII DM and 1902 Coro medal, with miniatures.

loose medals are WWII WM and two stars

Edited by ukok

Hello ukok -

The group sounds like a great find - I enjoy the "not-so-run-of-the-mill" groups, and your trumpeter's is certainly one of those.

I shall see what I can find for you.

In the mean time how about a few photos?

best regards

Thomas

Photos will be interesting - he would have had to serve in China first and then come across towards the end of the Boer War - 1899-1902. What bars are on the QSA ?

Are the WW2 loose bars associated with him ? Two stars would sound like active service and he must have been around the 60 mark !

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Photos will be interesting - he would have had to serve in China first and then come across towards the end of the Boer War - 1899-1902. What bars are on the QSA ?

Are the WW2 loose bars associated with him ? Two stars would sound like active service and he must have been around the 60 mark !

There's a chance the stars are unrelated as there were some miscellaneous unassociated items with the group.

Just about to post pics

There's a chance the stars are unrelated as there were some miscellaneous unassociated items with the group.

Just about to post pics

QSA is the ' ghost dated ' variety

1mb files

2saxxua.jpg

2mk4cy.jpg

j9luf8.jpg

i1zdro.jpg

20rn4tc.jpg

Hello ukok -

I am hesitant to ask - has the QSA been renamed? The photos are great, really good close-ups - I hope it is the angle of the photo, but the QSA's edge looks thinner from 4 o'clock to 8 o'clock ...

... more comments please!

regards

Thomas

That's what i'm concerned about, TS. I'm researching the group. It was purchased years ago by a collector who recently passed away. I don't doubt that he thought it was genuine but even though tampering, faking etc is more common now, it has been happening since collecting began. The China medal also appears thinner in the southern hemisphere !

Here's a pic of the naming

f562vr.jpg

ukok -

I have a really good looking Cape of Good Hope General Service Medal - with the "Transkei" clasp that I was after at the time. Attributed to Corporal G W C Smith - Bakers Horse, things all checked out. He was on the roll etc. From a supposed reputable dealer I never doubted it. Put it up with the rest of the collection, filled a nice gap - until I showed it to another collector... Not even for inspection more just a topic of conversaion... RENAMED!! banger.gif and the more I look at it the more obvious it is. "Bakers Hse" is good - Corpl GWC Smith NOT.

I now have a fancy looking paperweight!

... and I am back in the market looking for a Transkei CGHGSM.

That was my initial thought. However, i was curious to see if they had been " legitimately " renamed. Need to be sure before i inform the family but i'm almost certain this is a faked group

Edited by ukok