News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

“What do you know about Bavarian MVO's”

Greetings

An old Eduard Quellhost knight 2nd class, that has been around the mill. Anybody know of a fine jeweler who can restore this type of enamel work. Alternative is to do nothing and let the piece disintegrate to a skeleton.

Greetings

An old Eduard Quellhost knight 2nd class, that has been around the mill. Anybody know of a fine jeweler who can restore this type of enamel work. Alternative is to do nothing and let the piece disintegrate to a skeleton.

I have never met someone who can do this work anymore. Let it like it is, the chance to ruin the item is extremely high. Most pieces are like yours is due to the thin enamel.

I have never met someone who can do this work anymore. Let it like it is, the chance to ruin the item is extremely high. Most pieces are like yours is due to the thin enamel.

Will do certainly don't want to make it worse. I've seen excellent white enamel restoration jobs but blue enamel I understand has some dangerous ingredients which perhaps is the reason restoration experts shy away. Thanks

Sincerely

Yankee

Will do certainly don't want to make it worse. I've seen excellent white enamel restoration jobs but blue enamel I understand has some dangerous ingredients which perhaps is the reason restoration experts shy away. Thanks

Sincerely

Yankee

This is exactly the point. White is very easy and can be done perfectly. But not this old blue enamel.

Gentlemen,

About twenty years ago, I had some extensive enamel repair work done on a couple of pieces by, or through, Spink’s in London.

The results were extraordinary. As I said, this was about twenty years ago, so I do not know what their capabilities are today, but

it might be worth investigating.

Regards,

Wild Card

Gentlemen,

About twenty years ago, I had some extensive enamel repair work done on a couple of pieces by, or through, Spink’s in London.

The results were extraordinary. As I said, this was about twenty years ago, so I do not know what their capabilities are today, but

it might be worth investigating.

Regards,

Wild Card

Thanks for the tip :D . What color enamel did they repair? I suspect living in a high humidity environment does not help such delicate enamel work. Perhaps a climate controlled room might be an answer. More flakes after this three year old foto taken. I seldom hold it just comes off :( on its own.

Sincerely

Yankee

Thanks for the tip :D . What color enamel did they repair?

Hello Yankee,

As I recall, there were three pieces. I am sure that one was a Red Eagle 2nd class with swords and oakleaves and swords star.

The repair was to the white enamel on the arms - it is flawless. Unfortunately, I can not remember what the other pieces were,

but if I do, I will certainly let you know.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Hello Yankee,

As I recall, there were three pieces. I am sure that one was a Red Eagle 2nd class with swords and oakleaves and swords star.

The repair was to the white enamel on the arms - it is flawless. Unfortunately, I can not remember what the other pieces were,

but if I do, I will certainly let you know.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Thanks Wild Card. If they are still in that business & have somebody who can do blue color enamel repairs will let members know. Unfortunately this is beyond a touch up with a do it yourself enamel kit ( internet ) but probably all the old enamel would have to be removed and start again.

Sincerely

Yankee

• 3 years later...

When was this award gilded? It's very attractive?

A MVO fourth class with crown and swords (Weiss & Co), gilded to make a third class (at least the center is in real gold).Weiss never did third class, only Leser and Hammerlemvou.jpgmvou1.jpgAnd reload the pic of previous post (MVO 4th class pre-war)tm1i.jpg