News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ID Needed please

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Mervyn,

Thanks for the welcome, yes , I am a collector of worldwide police insignias and uniforms since 1974.

Thought I would start with something easy to see how the posting works on this forum.

Joined after seeing that there was large RCMP collection on display and the only way to see the photos was to join, I've left a large post in that section if you want to have read. One of my favourite police forces.

The crown over the stripes is actually a military rank taken on by the police as most of the senior officers at the time were ex-military types especially in the colonies. The met was unusual to have a metal crown over fabric stripes on the sleeve.

I see you still have more tahn a passing interst in truncheons and batons, I remember when you book first came out, is it still in print ?

Best Regards,

Les

Les,

Welcome to the Forum. I collect Iraqi Militaria and have been posting patches and translations to the patches. There is a lot to see and learn here.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the welcome.

I actually know quite a bit about world police insignias with 36 years of collecting behind me. Used to know a lot about a lot ,but forgotten a fair bit of it . I'll get back into the swing of things shortly.

I have been on your threads and have learned a bit, it's the newer stuff that I am trying to catch up on and your Iraqi patch photos are very helpful.

I left a question on one of your threads about an old badge you had illustrated, so it is probably better to talk about iraq subjects on your threads.

Regards,

Les

Mervyn/Les,

Thanks to both of you. Just need a point of clarification please as you have both given slightly different explanations. So, should it be SENIOR Sgt or STATION Sgt?

MERVYN: Don't recall anything about your book. What is the title and (as Les has asked) is it still in print?

Thanks again gents and welcome Les. Look forward to seeing some of your postings.

Ed

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the welcome.

I actually know quite a bit about world police insignias with 36 years of collecting behind me. Used to know a lot about a lot ,but forgotten a fair bit of it . I'll get back into the swing of things shortly.

I have been on your threads and have learned a bit, it's the newer stuff that I am trying to catch up on and your Iraqi patch photos are very helpful.

I left a question on one of your threads about an old badge you had illustrated, so it is probably better to talk about iraq subjects on your threads.

Regards,

Les

Les,

Sorry, I must have missed your question on the badge as I try to get back on any questions asked. I didn't visit the forum everyday and I have been posting on two different forums.

Bob

Hi Ed,

It's a SENIOR SERGEANT.

Do you collect police insignias form ONLY Australia or all over the world ?

I have a couple of posts already in the RCMP thread on Pauls collection.

Regards,

Les

Hi Ed,

It's a SENIOR SERGEANT.

Do you collect police insignias form ONLY Australia or all over the world ?

I have a couple of posts already in the RCMP thread on Pauls collection.

Regards,

Les

Thanks for the clarification Les. I collect from all over. (If you have you have any patches lying around that you don't want clogging up the back of the desk drawer I'd gladly take them off your hands) 2014.gif

Sorry if I confused the issue Ed, I was really only mentioning that the Met. had a similar insignia. The rank was for a senior sergeant to be in charge of the front office in a busy police station. They abolished the rank - I think, in 1972 by promoting all S/sgt's to the rank of Inspector.

The book is out of print - although copies are always available on Google at about the US$40. I have a number of mint copies and offered through PICA (Police Insignia Collectors Assoc.) a special offer of £14 incl. of p&p in the UK. Quite a number were ordered as there are only three major books on Police Collecting. For Google - look for 'The Policeman's Lot - Quiller Press. 1985. Mervyn Mitton. If anyone wants one direct IM and I will give you a UK address who will send by post. (Sorry for the commercial - but , you did ask.)