News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 Volunteer Combattant Medals

Tried to search for old threads and couldn't find any on this one. A bit of a surprise as I thought most awards have been discussed already.

Here are two Volunteer Combattant Medals for WWI service. First one shown has the word "Voluntariis" on the reverse.

Tim

Edited by Tim B

According to Andre Borne, in his book "Distinctions Honorifiques de la Belgique", the inscription on this medal should be VOLONTARIIS. He does note that there is a variant with the inscription VOLUNTARIIS.

Hope this helps.

Jean-Paul

• 3 years later...

I just checked the web sites of 2 European and 1 North American dealers, they hold multiple examples of both variants all advertised as original...

I honestly had never noticed this before. Any expert opinion on this?

As you mention it, François, both are seen as authentiques.

So, the VOLUNTARIIS version is not fake.

Only difference, according to 'Borné' is the finishing of the medal itself :

by the VOLONTARIIS version, the medal is in patinated bronze, while the VOLUNTARIIS version should be more patinated dark ocre-yellowish instead of bronze...

Cheers,

Detlev

• 3 weeks later...
    • 5 months later...