News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mike,

you must be very pleased with finding this one. I read that in the early days of the 2nd Boer War Officers had plain khaki puggarees and sergeants had a leather strap. What did the ORs have? Assuming that this statement is true of course.

Stuart

Mike,

you must be very pleased with finding this one. I read that in the early days of the 2nd Boer War Officers had plain khaki puggarees and sergeants had a leather strap. What did the ORs have? Assuming that this statement is true of course.

Stuart

Stuart that is correct - the troopers also had the leather bands!

Mike - why would you show us a 'fake' - is it some sort of test ? We can only give an opinion on the photos that are shown - I asked if it came all together as I didn't think the hackle had any age wear. I am disappointed that you have wasted our time.

Mike - why would you show us a 'fake' - is it some sort of test ? We can only give an opinion on the photos that are shown - I asked if it came all together as I didn't think the hackle had any age wear. I am disappointed that you have wasted our time.

The world is full of dishonest people out there and this cap will not always be in my posession so if i can help to ensure that my hat does not get passed on as genuine then thats my reason for posting. This is common practice in WW2 items but if its an issue I'll just keep my repro items to myself in future!

Mike,

you have some skill in making up headgear, and I think you said it was for a display that you are constructing. However, I think you would be better served by declaring a "repro" up front.

I was going to query the flash in light of its being unresolved in your topic The Real Band of Brothers, however, decided against because of your obvious knowledge of the Scottish Horse. We can't be authorities on everything so look to others to provide information on their special areas of interest.

OK, some questions. The feathers don't look very black and white. Maybe it's the lighting? In fact they don't look much like cock's feathers at all. What are they?

When did sergeants adopt the puggaree with yellow folds to the centre section, and was 1914 the year that the slouch was discontinued for the regiment?

Cheers,

Stuart

The world is full of dishonest people out there and this cap will not always be in my posession so if i can help to ensure that my hat does not get passed on as genuine then thats my reason for posting. This is common practice in WW2 items but if its an issue I'll just keep my repro items to myself in future!

You did say in a thread a few days ago that you would be getting a repro one of these, so that gave us a hint to this hat being a repro when this thread appeared, just stick an identifying "repro" on when you post photos & that'll steer us clear of confusion.

How about you start off a thread for badges, photos etc of the Scottish Horse, sounds like you can rattle info off without having to do the background work?

I have a few photos & badges I can add.

Very nice work and an excellent hat. I argee that you should post these items with the word REPRODUCTION in the title. It is not hard to fool me as I know nothing about these items, however, posting them here will not assure that at some time in the future it will not be sold as original to a novice collector.

Still, a well made reproduction and I hope you will post more information on the Scottish Horse.

Regards

Brian

Mike,

you have some skill in making up headgear, and I think you said it was for a display that you are constructing. However, I think you would be better served by declaring a "repro" up front.

I was going to query the flash in light of its being unresolved in your topic The Real Band of Brothers, however, decided against because of your obvious knowledge of the Scottish Horse. We can't be authorities on everything so look to others to provide information on their special areas of interest.

OK, some questions. The feathers don't look very black and white. Maybe it's the lighting? In fact they don't look much like cock's feathers at all. What are they?

When did sergeants adopt the puggaree with yellow folds to the centre section, and was 1914 the year that the slouch was discontinued for the regiment?

Cheers,

Stuart

Stuart

They are standard feathers made to look like cock feathers, since real ones are impossible to find due to them being a protected species these days!

Dont know about the yellow folds, its not mentioned anywhere in the Boer war info I have, is it a post-boer war thing?

I'm only studing the SH during the boer war period at the moment but I do know they changed to Tam-o-Shanters at some point post Boer War but not sure when!

The flash is taken from one of the books I have, it appears to be Murray tartan, the only doubt I have is that there may or may not be a yellow or red 'line' to the right of the flash but it could just be the picture! I'm pretty sure the yellow/red etc flashes did not come in till post Boer War!

Mike

Edited by fallschirmjager

Mike,

I know about swans' feathers being the province of the Queen in certain areas of the Thames, and species of swan, but did not know that a cock was protected unsure.gif

A photo taken in 1901 shows officers with a plain khaki puggaree and sergeants with the leather band. From this book, Uniforms of the British Yeomanry Force 1794 - 1914 by L. Barlow & R.J. Smith it appears that from 1903, to the centre of the puggaree for officers was a tartan of "green Murray Atholl" and for the other ranks a yellow cloth was used.

The authors state that the slouch hat was used for full dress until 1914. They include a photo of NCOs and ORs wearing the Atholl Grey Full Dress including the slouch hat with yellow folds and cocks' feathers taken in 1912.

Please start a thread on the Scottish Horse such that all of this information can be gathered in one place.

Stuart

I know about swans' feathers being the province of the Queen in certain areas of the Thames, and species of swan, but did not know that a cock was protected unsure.gif

Stuart - the Black Cock is a Grouse type of Bird and you can no longer use their feathers, so artifical ones are used thesedays!

Info on the BC!

Stuart - the Black Cock is a Grouse type of Bird and you can no longer use their feathers, so artifical ones are used thesedays!

Info on the BC!

Thanks Mike, I was thinking more of your common barnyard fowl.

I have also encountered multiple post problems. I think it may occur when I have previewed the post and then scrolled down to look at previous posts and then going to a previous page. But I can't be sure. I generally use Firefox but it sometimes does not perform correctly e.g. my profile photo is not shown and the profile menu is continuously displayed, in fact it is happening now. I don't know whether that is a contributing factor. We can't delete a post but have to ask a moderator or the chairman to do that.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates