News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Diamond Shaped Arm Badge - WWI

Hello,

Below is a photo of my Great Grandfather Private Victor Mark White ASC and Kings Liverpool Regt, died of wounds 25th Sept 1917 on the Somme.

I think the photo shows him in ASC uniform and on his lower right arm I can see his marksman badge but below that there appears to be a diamond shaped badge I've never seen before. Could anybody help identify it for me?

Here is a close up:

Many thanks for your help.

Carl

It looks like a Volunteer's efficiency badge (see British Army Proficiency Badges, Edwards & Langley P 48). In 1914 the badge was white on khaki.

To quote 'This is the successor to the earlier silver cuff ring for efficiency and was awarded to volunteers "Returned as efficient in rifle drill and practice in the last annual return of their Corps."'

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

It looks like a Volunteer's efficiency badge (see British Army Proficiency Badges, Edwards & Langley P 48). In 1914 the badge was white on khaki.

To quote 'This is the successor to the earlier silver cuff ring for efficiency and was awarded to volunteers "Returned as efficient in rifle drill and practice in the last annual return of their Corps."'

Stuart

Thanks very much Stuart.

I wonder if he was a pre war "territorial" as it's a volunteer badge. Did they continue issueing these to volunteers during the war? He's wearing 1908 pattern equipment and the rifle is not the SMLE. Looks like a Long Lee Enfield or Lee Metford. I don't know if they used them for training during WW1. Could this be a pre or very early war photo? His medal card only shows him entitled to War and Victory medals but the photo looks earlier than 1916 to me, perhaps he didn't go overseas until 1916 0r 17 and therefore he wasn't entitled to a star. I would be interested to hear from anyone with more knowledge than me!

Thanks again.

Carl

He's wearing the ASC cap badge, & 1908 Pattern webbing which has'nt undergone the wartime modificaton to the fastenings of the left side pouches.

According to the book, the lozenge died out during WWI & was'nt revived after the war, although it was used circa 1948 - 77 by ACF, JTC / CCF.

The crossed rifles will have a crown above, it looks like there's something there in the photo, I do'nt know exactly what this would mean in a Volunteer or TF ASC unit.

If he's not got the entry for the 1914 / 1914 - 15 Star on his MIC then he did'nt go overseas until after 1915.

Name: Victor Mark White

Birth Place: Shute, Axminster

Residence: Shute

Death Date: 25 Sep 1917

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Exeter, Devon

Regiment: King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Battalion: 5th Battalion

Number: 51228

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Comments: Formerly T/2.S.R/03154, Royal Army Service Corps.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Thank you Leigh.

I always assumed that he was conscripted or volunteered later in the war but looking closely at the uniform etc it looks as if perhaps he joined earlier. I suppose he could have been in the ASC but as manpower got shorter he was either transferred or volunteered for the infantry and was then sent to France. So no star.

The mix of volunteer badge, equipment and Long Lee rifle don't look like late war to me, but I'm no expert! I have seen photos of territorial battalions mobilised in 1914 armed with Long Lee Enfields.

Perhaps the service number from the ASC is a clue. T/2.S.R/03154, the 03154 I presume is the regimental number but what about the T/2.S.R? Perhaps someone may have some info ref ASC unit designation and service numbers?

Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Carl

Just found this on a site ref service numbers that helps:

T1 & 2/ (SR) - Army Service Corps. Enlisted Special Reserve for New Armies.

So it looks like T/2.S.R/03154 means Special Reserve for 2nd Kitchener Army?

I've found this ref the Special Reserve:

The Special Reserve was another form of part-time military service. Special Reservists enlisted for 6 years and had to accept the possibility of being called up in the event of a general mobilisation and to undergo all the same conditions as men of the Army Reserve. This meant that it differed from the TF in that the men could be sent overseas. Their period as a Special Reservist started with six months full-time training (paid the same as a regular) and they had 3-4 weeks training per year thereafter. A man could extend his SR service by up to four year, but could not serve beyond the age of 40. A former regular soldier whose period of reserve obligation had been completed could also re-enlist as a Special Reservist and serve up to the age of 42.

So it looks like in 1914 my Great Grandad enlisted in the ASC Special Reserve for the 2nd Kitchener Army and the photo was taken during a period of training early in the war he was then mobilised into the King's Regiment at a later date and sent to France.

Does that look right?