News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

P-38 Can Opener

This is my trusty P-38 can opener. Many of you younger folks probably never got to use this handy little item. The one I carry around on my key chain was made by Mallin. The two can openers still in the original wrappers are made by Mallin Hdwe. and J.W. Speaker Corp.

Bob

Things we use today are history tomorrow. I used to be on augmetee duty with the Security Police in Vietnam 1969-1970 and we got c rations for our meal at night. If we were lucky and got to ride around in a jeep or a V-100, we would poke a hole in the top of the can and sit it on top of the motor by the manifold and drive around for a few minutes and then have a hot meal. Always make sure to poke a hole in the can first otherwise you had a mess to clean up under the hood.

Bob

Yep, had a bunch at one time (probably still laying around here somewhere). We used to call them "John Waynes" although I haven't a clue why. Every sailor carried one on his keyring. Thanks for posting- brings back memories.

Wore 'em on your dog taq chain, where they'd snag your chest hair. Never knew the P-38 designation; always called it a John Wayne. Didn't they used to pack one in each C-ration?

Hugh

Very cool. I still have my very first one I got in basic training at FT Dix, NJ in 1979 on my key chain. I was told it was called the P-38 because if used correctly, you only need 38 cranks of the opener to open one C rat can. I remember counting it up back in the day and 38 cranks seemed right on but don't know if that is the real reason for the designation.

I also knew a Medal of Honor NCO from Nam. He was captured three times by the VC and escaped three times. He explained that he used the P-38 to escape which he sewed into his clothes. He sharpened the edge with a rock and cut his guards throat to escape. Has alot of uses I guess.

Tom

Yep, had a bunch at one time (probably still laying around here somewhere). We used to call them "John Waynes" although I haven't a clue why. Every sailor carried one on his keyring. Thanks for posting- brings back memories.

Apparently John Wayne did a training film back in WW II and used a P-38 in the film and after that they were also called "John Waynes". I did a Google search and got this info.

Bob

My key chain sports one too. Back in the late fifties-early sixties every surplus store had a box of them on the counter and you could help yourself.

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

We had an identical opener but in silver-grey galvanised finish in our ration packs (British) as issued from the 1970s to the 1990s. I don't know if they're still issued in current ration packs. I have a few somewhere and if I can find them, I'll post one. One of the best designs I have come across for can-opening without lacerating oneself!

PK