News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

INTRO.. WORLD POLICE FORCES

I recently purchased from a fellow member, a collection of some 58 Police caps from Countries around the World. Many of them are for senior officers and they originally formed part of a much larger collection. Probably took years to put together and I imagine a lot were obtained through 'swops'.

The first box has just arrived - postage is very high for such bulky items - so, it will probably take some months for them all to arrive. I will say immediately, that eventually they will be sold-on - so, if anyone has an interest in a particular item contact me by IM.

Looking through them I thought what a wonderful opportunity to enlarge our World Police Forum - and make it the reference section which a Forum such as GMIC should have. BUT , how to go about it. I can probably be described as 'knowledgeable' on British and Commonwealth Police - however, I certainly don't have vast details available on overseas Forces. Should I put them all on the one post, they will become lost and difficult to find - the solution I have come-up with is to use a standard title and post each cap on it's own thread. For ease of ref. I will number each post - e.g. ' Part 1 - Police Caps of the World.' and so on.........

When we have definite idents. we can post - perhaps every 10 - a list of the numbers and the Force shown ? Please let me know if you can think of a better way ? When all have been posted + any from other members , we can post a final list.

I think it will be a pity if we don't take advantage of these caps - using them as an anchor point - to enlarge on the details of the Police Force shown.

Let's try to eventually have the following added :

A firm identification of the Force whose cap is shown.

Short history of the Force from it's founding

Photos of past and present uniforms

Photos of weaponry ; uniforms for different ranks ; vehicles - past and present.

Numbers in the Force and the territory covered.

Location of Force HQ - and perhaps a phone no. or, email address.

I think if members can add these details as and when they can - then we will eventually have a wonderful ref. source.

Please let me know of any changes - or , thoughts - you may wish to add. OVER TO YOU..........

SHOULD YOU WISH TO ADD - CONTINUE WITH THE NEXT PART NO.... AND MAKE THE FIRST PHOTO OF THE CAP.

I would like to add that I don't want to block this forum - please post as usual - these will come together

one day.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Early British Police Swords from the 1820's - 1850's. Did you know that Police carried swords ?

The only way I knew Brisith police carried swords was because you mentioned it some time ago in another post. I had always believed that British police, up until fairly recently, never carried any weapon more dangerous than a truncheon.

Edited by Mike Dwyer