News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

From what I've learnt here, no genuine 1870 EKIIs have makers marks, but did any of them have silver content marks on the ribbon ring? I saw this for sale, and it's marked 999. Is this a genuine marking? Thanks!

My link

And if you can't read the whole ad it says

"

For Sale:

A beautiful 1870 EK2 with a Unique Pin Attachment Device which would allow its winner to wear it on his civilian clothes or even his military uniform for that matter. This is the correct style of pin device you want to see on this era of EK! The large ring has a silver content stamp of 999. Impossible to upgrade this cross!

Payment by Cashier's Check, Money Orders, or PayPal +4% ONLY! No Personal Checks Or PayPal E-Checks accepted!

I will consider trades for the following Nazi Daggers in minty condition as partial or full payment as well:

SS EM

SA

Naval Officer, must have portapee in place!

HJ Knife with motto on Blade!

RAD Hewer

Red Cross EM

Teno EM

Happy Hunting,

Vince"

$800US

Edited by Troy Tempest

i have less problems with this cross except to say that

i don't believe the 999, and that the unique pin attachment

would hardly raise the price to $800.

my opinion is that this is probably one of the 1890's

issue of the 1870 EK's.

curious to hear what others think.

joe

re: 666

this would be a first in the 1870, let alone 1914, issue.

and they were made as basically a batch or run of them.

it may be a first, but my suspicion is that the digits on the

jump ring were added.

JMHO.

joe

Edited by joe campbell

I sent the seller this message:

Hi, I was under the impression the 1870 EKIIs never had marked ribbon rings. Am I wrong? Thanks!

I just received this reply:

Yes, 1870's EKs can be found with maker marks on the rings. I have seen many over my 40 + years of collecting EKs.

My best,

Vince

What am I to think of this? I fully appreciate I am only learning about 1870 EKIIs, but this seems to go against everything I have absorbed on this site about them?

Agreed, I have numerous examples, none of which have this or any other mark on the ring.

I also agree, never seen an 1870 that has a marked ring. Mine aren't marked. Has anyone seen or can produce a picture of a marked ring from an 1870 cross? Not saying it is not possible, just never seen one before, ever. I would be highly suspicious of this one. :cheers:

Never seen a good one maker marked.Once I came across a K.A.G marked example with core Type B(1st classes marked with Godet).the cross was good,the ring for sure a replacement taken by from a '14 EKII and used for a repair.I wouldn't by such an EK!

Micha

I just received this reply:

What am I to think of this?

You should ignore this answer. I know who wrote it and his collection is riddled with known fakes. Sorry, Vince.

From my perspective, honestly, it's impossible to say if the cross is a good Type A (which is what it looks like) from the photos supplied.

If you want a good answer about this cross, I think you have to show us some better photos.

If it is a good Type A, I'd say the mark was added.

I have seen a few with silver content marks, but only 800 and 925, and never a Type A. Both those marks were on the exact same type of cross, a WWI-era replacement cross. In fact, a good 800 marked 1870 EK2 may be seen in Vern Bowen's EK book -- again the same WWI repacement type.

Here is one of my Type As:

DSCN7743-1-1.jpg?t=1276485087

Here are the only two other photos he has provided on the GMC site, I don't know if they will help you?

Hi Troy,

Yes I saw those. In my opinion they are not good enough.

In any case I would skip this cross in a heartbeat. If you're looking for a good 1870 EK1 I know of a number for sale, 100% good, for less.

PM me your email address if you want.