News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Service Dress cap, R.A.M.C. with colored cap band

Gentlemen,

This Service Dress cap came from eban with -45 stamped Battle Dress tunic & -45 stamped black beret. BD tunic has R.A.M.C. shoulder titles + Welch regiment formation badges.

Seller stated that all were originally from same Lt.Col's estate but no name available.

I've read from somewhere (but I can't find the reference now) that higher/staff officers had this arm-of-services colored band on their Service Dress caps. Which was the first rank that could wear it? Lt.Col.?

I've not seen these caps for sale with any other colored bands than "normal" red (besides pictured "dull cherry" for medical). Were those not "popular" amongst the higher officers or did they wear red bands?

This cap is well worn but still in quite nice shape! Beret that came with the lot is not as much used (-45 year stamp might have something to do with that!).

I'd be pleased to hear any opinions about this cap!

With rgds,

Miikka

RAMCltcol01.jpg

RAMCltcol03.jpg

RAMCltcol02.jpg

RAMCltcol06.jpg

RAMCltcol05.jpg

Lion has eyes too!

RAMCltcol04.jpg

Edited by MASteel

Full Colonel, Royal Army Medical Corps, pre Queen Elizabeth II, it has General Servce buttons rather than the crown & Royal cypher within garter design of Full Colonels / Brigadiers.

Datmg these things by construction etc rather than by the insignia isn't my sort of thing at all, but I'm guessing WWII or post war?

The beret is Rpyal Armoured Corps or Royal Tank Regiment, worn with various cap badges (see the thread on Royal Armoured Corps).

Edited by leigh kitchen

Thank you Leigh!

So full colonels could wear colored cap band. Cap band looks to be "loose", ie. added to the cap after manufacturer has made the actual cap. Was that common practice? One could imagine that full colonel would order all new gear after promotion but also keep old ones for field etc service and upgrade those to new rank.

Cap is very heavy, f.ex. if you compare it to German WW2 era visor caps.

If this hat and the battle dress tunic are from the same officer then I recon that at least cap band was added post war since the tunic has January -45 stamp and Lt.Col rank pips. Sure there was still enough time to get a promotion during the war but why not update rank on Battle Dress tunic...?

Thanks,

Miikka

...am I correct that also buttons would support that cap is upgraded to colonel's rank by adding the dull cherry band?

(Btw, found & bought the books (or rather series of books) by Mike Chappel that Leigh meintioned on WW1 TOS thread )

Thx for your reply!

Dull cherry band has been on this cap for a very long time, that is quite obvious when handled it "live".

I've also learnt that anything is possible, that is one thing I've noticed during the years of collecting military uniforms!

This cap has silver on gilt Royal Signals buttons, which are confusing me at the moment:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=43775

I have a Colonel's / Brigadier's khaki SD cap which I think is circa WWI, which has the red band lightly tacked on, the bullion badge sewn to the band.

• 6 years later...
    On 15/06/2010 at 12:59, leigh kitchen said:

This cap has silver on gilt Royal Signals buttons, which are confusing me at the moment:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=43775

I have a Colonel's / Brigadier's khaki SD cap which I think is circa WWI, which has the red band lightly tacked on, the bullion badge sewn to the band.

Colonel or Brigadiers Cap Badge & Peak Braid 2 resized.JPG

The cap pictured has the post 1953 version with Queens crown brigadier/Colonel badge

The RAMC cap at the start is C. WWII or early post war pre 53.

I know this is an old thread but I was searching something which led to it and I felt obliged to comment.