News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Maker's Marks / Hallmarks / Guarantee Stamps

Tim B

• 3 weeks later...

Boy, this thread had a short life.unsure.gif

Okay, does anyone have a clue on the maker here?

Tim

It may have had a short life, but you've cast a little light into some corners of ignorance. Our silence doesn't mean we haven't benefited. Thanks.

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

No worries, as the whole point of the thread was to share this type of information for all collectors, past, present, and future. Just kind of hard to have discussions if you're the only one talking.2014.gif I'm trying hard to learn as well.

Cheers mate!cheers.gif

Tim

Okay, just a last Monnaie example on a WWI Volunteer Combattant Cross. Not as worn down as most, but the flowers in the cornucopia just don't show up in the PIC.

Tim

Hello Tim,

Late to this party it would seem...

Here is another cornucopia mark. This time it is conjunction with the letter 'M' [Monnaie de Paris] on the reverse of an 'Engagé Volontaire' silver bar attached to one of my French War Commemorative Medals, so it would appear that the mint marked more than just their medals. In this picture the bar has been rotated 90 degrees.

I hope it adds to the previous items.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Okay, does anyone have a clue on the maker here?

Tim

Hello Tim,

I don't have any ideas as to the maker but here is one of my War Commemorative Medals with the same makers mark. It also has an 'Engagé Volontaire' bar as well. Out of all my French medals I find this particular medal quite appealing and such a lovely design. For some reason this strike is much better and definitive than the examples that I have from the Paris Mint, Janvier-Berchot and Arthus Bertrand. Such a simple and elegant design.

Close-ups of the reverse and mark itself to follow.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Hi Rob!

Thanks for joining in here and adding those PIC's! Yes, totally agree on the quality of the strike on this maker.

By chance, do you have the Arthus Bertrand example and a close-up of that mark to show here?

Timcheers.gif

Hi Rob!

Thanks for joining in here and adding those PIC's! Yes, totally agree on the quality of the strike on this maker.

By chance, do you have the Arthus Bertrand example and a close-up of that mark to show here?

Timcheers.gif

Hey Tim,

When I have time I shall scour the boxes to look for the item and will post pics when I find it.

Regards,

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob!

Timcheers.gif

Hello Tim,

I have located my Commemorative war medal with the Arthus Bertrand makers mark. When I return to Sydney in a couple of weeks I shall scan it and post pics.

Regards,

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

Sounds good, will wait to see what it looks like.

Tim

Hello Tim,

As it turns out the medal in question actually has the standard Paris Mint mark and BR. I will continue the search for the Bertrand model.

Here is the pics of the Paris mint variety.

Regards,

Rob

I don't see this maker as often as the Monnaie or J&B examples. Nicely detailed, and more so when compared to the other two mentioned.

Tim

Good evening,

do you speak of the "RF" on the top of the handle of the sword? If I have well understand your question, it is not a maker but the initials of "République Française",

Regards,

André

Hello André,

No, the markings Rob is referring to are the maker's marks on the reverse of the medal. The cornocopia for the Paris mint (Monnaie de Paris) and the letters "BR" for bronze metal content. He thought he had another example to show off of the Bertrand manufacture.

Regards,

Tim

Hello André,

No worries and welcome to the discussion here!cheers.gif

That was a very nice site link and it certainly applies here. It also has a wealth of information for collectors in other areas as well.

Merci!beer.gif

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

To all,

Here is another French War Commemorative medal with yet a different makers mark on the reverse. It is part of a group of 6 that I have. I only noticed the different mark when I was looking for my Arthus Bertrand marked specimen.

Close-ups of the reverse and mark to follow.

Regards,

Rob

And the mark itself.

It is a similar external shape to that shown on post #32-34 but there is definitely different internal markings. While it is difficult to tell I believe the central mark resembles an upside down arrow.

I am hopeful that someone more knowledgeable can identify this maker. Any thoughts??

Regards,

Rob

And the mark itself.

It is a similar external shape to that shown on post #32-34 but there is definitely different internal markings. While it is difficult to tell I believe the central mark resembles an upside down arrow.

I am hopeful that someone more knowledgeable can identify this maker. Any thoughts??

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob

Hi everybody

First I apologize for having being absent during the last two months. I hope I could participate to this thread a little more now.

The mark shown by Rob is of Léon Chalin : L an anchor C. The mark is inversed, it occurs sometimes.

If you reverse the pic, you can see clearly the mark :

Regards

Bison

Hello Bison,

Welcome back. Thanks for the input regarding the last War Commemorative medal mark. I have another example with this mark but never noticed that it was merely inverted.

I have also recently been made aware that the examples in posts #27-28 and #32-34 of the thread have another variety of the mark of Léon Chalin. Is this manufacturer Paris based like most of the others?

Regards,

Rob