Tim B

France French Maker's Marks / Hallmarks / Guarantee Stamps

69 posts in this topic

ID: 51   Posted (edited)

Hello Rob

Yes, Léon Chalin was a medal maker in Paris. His workshop was 12 rue de Crussol. He was registered from 1895 to 1929.

The other mark (C and L superposed) is assessed to be another Léon Chalin's mark. But I have no clear evidence of that. This is only an assumption.

Regards

Bison

Edited by Bison

Welcome back Bison! You had me worried for awhile and wondered if you had someone else!! cheeky.gif

Happy to see you posting again!cheers.gif

Tim

Interesting mark above, Rob. I think I posted this PIC over on another thread and will repost it here. Notice, yet another diamond marking. Hard to tell the center as it appears it took a strike in the area.

Tim

ID: 54   Posted (edited)

Hello Rob

Yes, Léon Chalin was a medal maker in Paris. His workshop was 12 rue de Crussol. He was registered from 1895 to 1929.

The other mark (C and L superposed) is assessed to be another Léon Chalin's mark. But I have no clear evidence of that. This is only an assumption.

Regards

Bison

Hello Bison,

Thanks very much for the clarification. That is good information. :D

It would be good if someone else could add to the mix and confirm this.

Apart from the recent book by Patrick Binet, which shows the relevant makers marks of the Colonial medals, are there any other references available that has some form of listing of the myriad of French manufacturer hallmarks? I have an old copy of 'Court Jewelers of the World' by Jeffrey R. Jacob, dated 1978 which is very useful. While it shows a great many different manufacturer marks it is also incomplete in many areas. It would be advantageous if such an updated book were produced.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Thought I would add another maker's mark here on this thread despite the apparent lack of interest anymore. Shame, as the thread had potential IMO.

Here's one of the marks for Arthus Bertrand on a WW1 Commemorative Medal. I read on another site that the symbol is supposed to be a wheel gear topped with a star but, it looks more like the star is topped by the wheel gear. The letters A.B. et Cie in the bottom of the triangle.

Tim

post-548-090370900 1287463838_thumb.jpg

Thought I would add another maker's mark here on this thread despite the apparent lack of interest anymore. Shame, as the thread had potential IMO.

Here's one of the marks for Arthus Bertrand on a WW1 Commemorative Medal. I read on another site that the symbol is supposed to be a wheel gear topped with a star but, it looks more like the star is topped by the wheel gear. The letters A.B. et Cie in the bottom of the triangle.

Tim

Hello Tim,

It is a nice Arthus Bertrand specimen. I have posted another AB example on the following thread which clearly shows the details of the mark.

French War Commemorative varieties

Regards,

Rob

Tim

Thanks, Tim, still adding to my store of knowledge.

Yes, I seen the other thread. I just wanted to keep the marks on one thread so future collectors didn't have to search countless pages to find the information. Doesn't really matter, as there aren't many contributors actually adding anything to establish a database.

No knocks on those reading if they don't have pieces to add, just a general statement here. ;)

Regards,

Tim :cheers:

As I went through my French Commemorative Medals tonight, I thought I would put up a better Arthus Bertrand PIC.

post-548-008039000 1287645002_thumb.jpg

ID: 60   Posted (edited)

I won't bother with my Leon Chalin as the mark is posted above already, but I will add an example of the Paul Leclere mark on another Commemorative Medal.

Another triangle that has the letters P and L with a lightning bolt in between.

Tim

post-548-053013800 1287645115_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tim B

Hi

Sometimes symbols have a meaning. In this case, the lightning ('l'éclair' in French)is very close in pronunciation with "LECLERE".

That is the reason why some makers have chosen to have a sort of rebus in their marks.

Regards

Bison

Cracking information - many thanks - gold dust for the French collector.

SteveR

Raymond Juif (R "une jambe de bois" J)...

dsc_0431.jpg

Lemaitre : (L "grenade" Fils)

dsc_0442.jpg

silver 2nd empire for campaign medals see medal of Mexico

dsc_0433.jpg

Garantie silver-gold

dsc_0434.jpg

Adrien Chobillon

dsc_0435.jpg

A Bacqueville

dsc_0436.jpg

Arthus Bertrand

dsc_0437.jpg

Victor Lemoine

dsc_0438.jpg

garantie gold and halmark Georges Aucoq

dsc_0439.jpgdsc_0443.jpg

Hello Guy

Those pictures are a dream ! I sure wish I could produce anything close to that.

Congratulations and many thanks for providing us with such wonderful tools.

Kind regards

Veteran

This type of reference material is too important to disappear out of sight. Hendrik and members - I have 'pinned'

and will endeavour to add some French silver marks. Mervyn

ID: 67   Posted (edited)

Hi,

It's a very interesting topic I find here now.

Please, can someone identify to me this marking at my Croix du Combattant?

Seems to me letters inside are "M et R".

1znaq0i.jpg

Thanks and Regards,

Ricardo

Edited by RRicardo

Ricardo,

This is a very interesting question because.... many collectors in France are also wondering who is this manufacturer, without any consistent answer at the moment.

In fact, the initials are M&N with something like an anchor above.

It is still a mystery for me, but I continue to research.

If somebody has a beginning of a piece of information, he is more than welcome!

ID: 69   Posted (edited)

This is such a great thread and very informative. I have a maker's mark that I haven't been able to identify yet and could use some help. The marks are on a Boulanger Lion and Sun medal. Boulanger has outsourced some of their medals to other medal makers for manufacturing. It looks a lot like Lemaitre's mark, but the "E" looks pretty clear. The letters appear to be E and L. Any ideas?

Jean-Chrispohe of http://www.phaleristic.com kindly identified this mark for me as Edmond LEMAITRE, this house is an old orders maker. Lemaitre bought BOULLANGER in 1920, and was finally absorbed by ARTHUS BERTRAND in1937. The mark is EL with a grenade with 4 flames in the centre.

So there was an Edmond and a Gaston Lemaitre mark.

Edited by Markus