News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Portugal - Life saving medal

Hello Gentlemen,

Im doing a research project about some portuguese and german naval officers and i need to see a picture , front and obverse if possible, of Portuguese Life saving medal.

Can anyone help me ?

Many thx in advance.

Regards

• 2 years later...

This medal is a National award, that carries the name of the Sea Rescue Institute. It is a military decoration, that could be given to civilian and military personal for outstanding acts of heroism in the sea at shipwrecks rescue, or in the life saving operations. .
    https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instituto_de_Socorros_a_N%C3%A1ufragos

• 4 months later...

Hi

There are 2 version of this medal awarded by the Instituto de Socorros a Naufragos:

The filantrophy & dedication acts medal

141ian9.jpg

2dkd69w.jpg

The corageous maritime acts medal (this is the one awarded for salvation acts on sea)

24pm4ah.jpg

Before of the creation of the ISN the medal that was awarded for this kind of acts was the Maria II medal for Philantrophy & Merit...

Here is na exemple of one of my colletion this of the gold degree...

2wpuv09.jpg

ajneav.jpg

A short curious story about this medal is the one about one of our queens Dª Maria Pia wife of king Louis I that received a same identical medal for a bravery act on saving the two royal princes from drowning on the Mexilhoeiro beach on October 1873...