News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I finally found one! Just returned from Paris. Finally found myself an 1860 China Expedition medal. I was looking for an MOMP "Barre" but there were none to be found. And trust me, I looked! My poor wife followed me through endless kilometers of Parisian streets and countless shops (mind you, I followed her through weeks of shopping through Europe so...). Everywhere we went it was the same song "we just sold it 1 or 2 or 3 weeks ago"... But a tip from an elderly gentleman sent me to a little shop where I found this "SACRISTAIN" model. It cost more but at this point I simply didn't care anymore.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2010/post-3030-127644892514.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2010/post-3030-127644893556.jpg

IMHO you have a better and much scarcer Nap III China 1860 medal, compared to the usual Barre model. Sacristain examples appear to be harder to find than even the Falot or E.F. (Farochon) examples. I have a Mexico 1862-63 medal by Sacristain. I was very lucky to find it, and plunked down a stiff price for it without hesitation.

One significant difference in the Sacristain obverse die is the very narrow spacing between NAPOLEON and III. The Barre, Falot, and Farochon obverse dies show a much wider spacing between the Emperor's name and III.

Edited by tjnier

I probably didn't explain myself very well... Still jet lagged...

I'm absolutely thrilled at this model! Sacristain models are much rarer and I didn't expect as much. I was looking for a Barre model simply because it's 300 EUROs+ cheaper. When my finance minister (wife) said "go for it", I almost fainted!

I probably didn't explain myself very well... Still jet lagged...

I'm absolutely thrilled at this model! Sacristain models are much rarer and I didn't expect as much. I was looking for a Barre model simply because it's 300 EUROs+ cheaper. When my finance minister (wife) said "go for it", I almost fainted!

Nice with original riband, quite hard to find thus.

Paul