News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWII + Canadian trio to Forward Surgical Hosp.

Hello Everyone,

While on a short stay in Perth Ontario we managed to find a couple of nice items. One was the WWI Canadian Flag posted earlier and this group of three named to FSH A. Burton. The FSH stands for Forward Surgical Hospital.

Providing my source is correct ( and I did verify it through the internet as well) this group would not be all that common, proving that there are still finds hidden in display cases in small antiques shops all over Ontario, if you are willing to hunt for them. My wife actually spied this, she has always had a good eye for quality. That goes without saying ,of course, after all she married me. :whistle: Comments that all that welcomed, thank you.

The group is swing mounted and looks to have been a homemade effort. The Canadian Volunteer Service Medal was put up with the reverse showing and the mount in general is not what you would expect to find on parade. I would therefore assume that it was mounted up after the recipient's time in service, with a ribbon bar worn on the uniform during the time of service rather than the mounted medals. Also I don't believe the CVSM being mounted up wrong way around would have been well received by the RSM. Opinions from anyone who is serving or has served during the post war period is welcomed and appreciated.

The absence of the clasp on the CVSM, provided it was not simply lost, would indicate service in Canada during the war. The Canadian Forces Decoration is for 12 years service with the clasp awarded for an additional 10 years service. We know that the recipient served for at least 22 years. With service in the Forward Surgical Hospital this could have been awarded to a female. I hope that is not sounding sexist as it could also very well have been awarded to a male. I just think the odds of A. Burton being a female is higher with this unit, considering service during the war years, than in other units of the time.

I hope you like my wife's addition to the collection.

Regards

Brian

A copuple thoughts from a different forum:

Fusilier H.A. Burton? The H looks to seperate from the FS...note what appears to be dot position after H and A.

or could it be an error in the impressing and should have read "FSM": Flight Sergeant Major?

That's interesting Laurence, so much for my information from a serving "source". :angry:

The letters "FS" are on one facet and the "H" on the same facet as (H)".A.BURT" and the rest of the name "ON" on the next facet. Therefore the lettering could very well be FS H.A.BURTON. So is FS a short form for Flight Sergeant? That's assuming that the "H" is indeed an "H" and part of the name. What are your thoughts?

Regards

Brian

That's interesting Laurence, so much for my information from a serving "source". :angry:

The letters "FS" are on one facet and the "H" on the same facet as (H)".A.BURT" and the rest of the name "ON" on the next facet. Therefore the lettering could very well be FS H.A.BURTON. So is FS a short form for Flight Sergeant? That's assuming that the "H" is indeed an "H" and part of the name. What are your thoughts?

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian

I am also a little surprised that a serving/ex-serving member would give out info like that.

I actually think it's Flight Sergeant. If you scroll down about a third of the way on the provided link you will find....F/S or FS, F/Sgt, FSgt = Flight Sergeant

http://www.acesofww2.com/abbreviations.htm

Hope this helps some :cheers:

Larry

Hello Larry,

Yes it does help, thank you very much.

Here's the rub. My sister-in-law who was an air force brat said that FS was Flight Sergeant but didn't know what the H would stand for. I showed her the group while in Perth and we both misread the lettering. Darn! Now I'll have to tell her she was on the right track. :lol:

Thanks again.

Regards

Brian

I note that only the H and A have periods after them. So I make it FS H.A. Burton as well.

Hi Michael,

So, could you hear my sister-in-law laughing and saying, "I told you so!" all the way to your place? :blush:

Regards

Brian