News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian Security

I had to share this before the item even arrived... one of the "grails" of Hungarian security. It's a Kadar period Excellent State Security Police (Karhatalom) Service Badge along with the miniature in case. Very rare. The Rakosi period version of the badge is more rare, but I'm certainly happy to have found this. The period of this badge would be post 1957 until 1971, when the Karhatalom was disbanded.

Thanks, Kevin! You know how I crave security items ;-).

Here's my collection of Public Security Medals. First, a Bronze grade 1947 model from the Tildy period (coalition government). No case nor ribbon with this one. Pretty rare.

In 1952, it was decided to extend this medal to both the armed and uniformed AVH- the Karhatalom. The only difference between the Karhatalom version of the medal and the Police version is the ribbon- that's it. This particular version is the Gold grade in case, again from the '60's. This medal was awarded until the Karhatalom was disbanded in 1971.

Also in 1952 it was decided to extend this medal to the Border Guard. Again, the only difference between this and the '51 version of the medal is the ribbon. Shown here is the Bronze grade, in case, from the '60's. These were awarded from 1952 until 1989.

A couple of cap badges: first a Rakosi period cap badge for both the Karhatalom and the Border guard (note the absence of weapons below the star. A two piece badge in brass and hot enamel. For the record, I have never seen an example of this badge with the star placed perfectly- it's always off a bit.

The next badge is a Kadar period Police cap badge- note the weapons below the star. This is a one piece badge in brass and cold enamel.

I had to share this before the item even arrived... one of the "grails" of Hungarian security. It's a Kadar period Excellent State Security Police (Karhatalom) Service Badge along with the miniature in case. Very rare. The Rakosi period version of the badge is more rare, but I'm certainly happy to have found this. The period of this badge would be post 1957 until 1971, when the Karhatalom was disbanded.

Greg,

Very nice to see one of these badges in the case and with the miniature. When it arrives, would you ge kind enough to post a picture of tht top and bottom of the case please.

Regards,

Gordon

• 2 weeks later...

The Excellent State Security Police set has arrived! Gordon- the case is completely (top and bottom) covered in a red leatherette. No distinguishing mark or seal either printed or embossed on the top; the same leatherette covers the "scuff". It is, however, a very sturdy case with a metal latch and two metal hinges.

Edited by Greg Collins

There were two differnt froms of this badge for placement on the uniform - the type that Greg has shown here and a pinback form. The pinback form has a vertical needle and clasp which is unique to the HUPR badges. This was also the latter form - probably from the early 1970's before it was disbanded. My LtCol. of the Karhatalom has this vertical pinback badge tho it is an earlier uniform.

Gents,

There was another, a third type of this badge too. That is an RRR!!! rarity grade piece, and only one piece is known so far. This picture shows all three types together, and gives an impression on the sizes of the badges. There is no need to say which is the extremely rare one, I guess...

Regards,

cimbineus

karh_g_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Wow, nice badge. I see the Hungarian plastic star has been brought into play here. While I understand the rarity of the piece, as well as the value of something of which so few were made, I think I'd rather find a Rakosi era badge as you've shown on the upper left. The crossed PPH and Mosin-Nagant make it for me!

Cimbineus,

The more I look at that badge, the more I come to the conclusion that it must be either:

A. An example (sample) of a complete badge change that never made full production because of the Karhatalom being disbanded. Or...

B. A "one-off" award for the commander of the unit prior to the disbanding (sort of a "hand-shake" type recognition of service).

At any rate, a beautiful badge.

Cimbineus,

The more I look at that badge, the more I come to the conclusion that it must be either:

A. An example (sample) of a complete badge change that never made full production because of the Karhatalom being disbanded. Or...

B. A "one-off" award for the commander of the unit prior to the disbanding (sort of a "hand-shake" type recognition of service).

At any rate, a beautiful badge.

Very possible on all accounts. The more I collected of these items - the more I found that prototypes existed, were stored, some were sold and others ended up in the military musuem archives. I would suspect that the variant that Cimbineus was probably a prototype design in examining the style that would be eventually produced in the Kadar era, or possibly a revision prototype. Its hard to say but there seems to be hundreds of prototypes that were manufactured for the various badges and awards. However I hate to state that they must also be viewed with some aprehension as they all bear a certain murky authenticity...until the state mint divulges their design archives. In my personal collection are the suspected prototypes for the Excellent Platoon Leaders badge with the Kadar crest and the Hero of Labor or perhaps Hero of the HUPR from 1979 -

Yeah Charles, I've seen these instances in all the countries I collect with the exception, oddly, of Bulgaria.

-USSR: very limited production of the Order of Victory (24 awarded- I believe that number is correct).

-DDR: prototypes abound here, both of badges and of medals/orders... probably due to outsourcing rather than using a "state mint".

-Mongolia: limited production on Honourary Freeman of Mongolia... one awarded (Breznev).

- Romania: virtually all higher orders made in plated brass for most awardees; precious metals for the select few, especially after 1965.

Just makes what we do all the more interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't throw the word "rare" around much, but this is quite rare. It's a small stick-pin type, two piece badge for membership in the Bástya S. E. (Bástya Sport Egyesület - Bastion Sport Association)-the sport club of the AVO (Border Guard) / AVH (Security Police) during the Rakosi era (1949-1956). In 1956, the Dozsa (Doge... more or less synonymous with "bastion") became it's successor as the sport club throughout the Internal Ministry (I have a couple of those pins in transit- they have a much more familiar look).

The workmanship is superb on this badge, which is only a little taller than a US nickle. The term "exquisite" comes to mind. Note the usage of the AVH/AVO cap badge emblem.

Edited by Greg Collins