News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian Security

Interesting... I have this sports medal from Dozsa S.E. though it looks like it may have been ground down there is no evidence that it ever said "Bastya". I think it may have been ground down during the engraving. The sporting event is dated for January of 1955. Also of note is the AVH insignia.

Charles,

Though I don't own this, the image (among others) was sent to me to help in personal research. As you can see, the Bastya type (lettering) above the logo is struck in relief- the lettering is "taller" than the background. Were this lettering ground down to the level of the background, then "Dosza S.E." could be engraved where it was. It appears, at least to me, that this is the case in the example you have provided. Of note is the lip at the medal's edge that is gone at the top but reappears as you move away from the "grind" area. Great find, by the way!

Edited by Greg Collins

Charles,

The Bastya S.E. was only for the AVH and AVO (those who wore that specific cap badge that is the logo of the club). After 1956, membership was opened up to all the Ministry of the Interior. I believe this was the reason for the name change, and I believe this occurred prior to the '56 revolution.

That sums it up pretty much - I would guess that in 1955 the name was changed and the "overstock" of medals were probably ground down and the new name engraved. I'm now kicking myslef for turning down these medals that I simply thought of as "simple sport medals"....I found so many of them at the flea markets and I only picked this one up becasue it was the same one that was seen in my book for the photo of the AVH individual who is wearing the Excellent Shooting Badges :banger:

Edited by hunyadi

My theory regarding the name change is that it occurred in the months between the end of Rakosi's administration (and the ensuing ministry reshuffle) and the revolution in 1956.

I know what you mean about these medals... I'm still looking for one.

• 3 weeks later...

Upon closer inspection of the Bronze grade, you'll notice that a Gold grade star has been attached to the Bronze grade wreath. Those who own Charles' book will have seen this same treatment applied to a Police Service Medal (1951).

A couple of Police cap badges. I believe the one to the left is a Rakosi period piece- two piece construction with hot enamel. The one to the right may be a Kadar period transition piece; still two piece but with cold enamel (granted this is difficult to tell from photos- much easier if handling the piece). Later, the blue of the background would become darker and the badge would be one piece.

Charles,

Which piece(s) and what aspect are you interested in? If you mean the AVH Medals, the ribbons appear lighter here than they are- shot in open shade and edited (using Corel Photo-paint) for the detail in the medal itself. The ribbon is actually a deep "cherry" red.

Edited by Greg Collins

Charles,

Which piece(s) and what aspect are you interested in? If you mean the AVH Medals, the ribbons appear lighter here than they are- shot in open shade and edited (using Corel Photo-paint) for the detail in the medal itself. The ribbon is actually a deep "cherry" red.

Hi Greg - yes the ribbons on the AVH (Karhatalom) Long Service Medals. Im always interested in the production of the ribbons as well - they do help to give a timeline as to production with thier construction, loopes - etc...

A pre-Rakosi communique/letter dated 12 December 1946, hand signed, from AVO Lt. Colonel Dr. Aladar Gyuris, Deputy Division Chief, to Miklos Hulenyi stating the following:

"My dear Friend!

I took steps regarding your request. Your case is currently under investigation. Unless any special problems arise, the permit will be issued to you.

Yours Sincerely,"

First, the letter as a whole:

Charles,

As promised, some ribbon views of the Silver grade AVH medal- the Bronze is virtually identical. Taken early morning, open shade. No colour, contrast or light manipulation. I hesitate to uncouple the ribbon ends from the medal as I felt resistance- maybe a crimp- and also because of the stitching. First, the whole medal:

Greg - WOW on the PRO document, that is probably more rare than the AVH item!! :jumping: The ribbon is certainly a Karhatalom piece. Is the riboon "prong" aluminum or is it sheet metal steel? If its aluminum it could be made in the late 1970's or even latter. If its stamped hseetmetal its early 1960's.

A couple of incidental pieces here that fit nicely into the collection... a Dozsa (Internal Ministry sports club) Spartakiad badge from 1960 and a Volunteer Fireman lapel badge (goes well with the full sized badge I have- will post later).

Edited by Greg Collins