News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian Security

• 1 month later...

Here's an interesting badge; I've not seen one like it before. It's for the Frontier Army... border troops. It would appear to be very early on from it's construction. Quite heavy and very large (2 3/8 inches). Numbered on the back 2579. Any additional info appreciated.

post-7004-020743100 1285893923_thumb.jpg

It may be for the Border gurads - but I was led to believe that these were the badges worn by the AVH / Border Gurads who oversaw the collective farms, or who oversaw production in teh rural areas. I may be wrong... :unsure:

Gents,

This is a purely civilian badge. In Hungary, then and now too, there are some services that are responsible for watching/supervising/keeping/guarding the forests (ERDŐŐR), the river dikes (GÁTŐR), the fields and meadows (MEZŐŐR), the wild animals, i.e. gamekeeper (VADŐR). (ŐR means something like: watch/keep/supervise/guard). All those badges are numbered, since they are considered to be service badges, given to a person for the period of his/her duty, hence, these badges are relatively rare.

Regards,

cimbineus

Found this badge the other day- an Excellent Soldier of the Internal Ministry Border Guard. I don't know how this badge would rate in "rarity" compared to the Karhatalom version I posted a little while ago as the Border Guard was in existence until '89 (the Karhatalom was disbanded in '71), but I had not seen this badge before in my travels. The back is the standard opposing prong type with nut for changing the level of the award.

post-7004-013514100 1286411520_thumb.jpg

From Memory, the oval style was from 1957 to 1970/75 ish time frame - then the Kivalo Hataror took on the Honved style with the white enameled border banner. Not much photographic evidence - but then trying to find photos of anyone wearing badges or medals was hard to come by...

Gordon,

So, from what you're telling me, the award is basically the same but in a different time frame, with the predominantly white badge being after '70-'75ish and the predominantly green badge used before that (from '57 until the beginning of the white badge). Hope I've got it right.

Cimbineus,

Thanks for showing the variations. Mine, I'm told, was made in Czechoslovakia at the Stalin factory there- the nut seems to attest to this although nuts can be replaced. I would like to get my hands on the first variation you show... I like the darker background with the silver plated guard. Appeals to my design aesthetic a bit more than the others. Bolder.

Edited by Greg Collins

Picked up three ribbon bars- paper under plastic type- the other day. The "ties that bind" them are that all have the Return of Power to the Workers and Peasants medal and the Public Security medal, indicating the bearer was in service prior to 31 December 1956. Also, in all instances the ribbons are out of order... not unusual in many Warsaw Pact nations. First, a bar with three awards: Medal of Labour/Service (should be in the second spot), the Workers and Peasants medal (should be first) and the Public Security medal (light blue here):

post-7004-002223800 1287103540_thumb.jpg

And now an eight award bar... Workers and Peasants medal, two Public Service medals (should be in the third and fourth places), the Medal for Labour/Service (should be second), and medals of Service for 25, 20, 15 and 10 years. I find it interesting that the Public Security medal is depicted in light blue on two of the bars, and darker blue on one of them.

post-7004-022395100 1287104282_thumb.jpg

And now an eight award bar... Workers and Peasants medal, two Public Service medals (should be in the third and fourth places), the Medal for Labour/Service (should be second), and medals of Service for 25, 20, 15 and 10 years. I find it interesting that the Public Security medal is depicted in light blue on two of the bars, and darker blue on one of them.

These are service to the nation in silver - the Public Service Medals has a wider tricolor.

Charles,

The reason I believed these were Public Security medals rather than Silver Service to the Nation is that the tricolour is not "rimmed" in gold and the blue on the Service to the Nation medal is even darker than on the Public Security medal... unless there is a variant of which I am not aware.