News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

PART 7 - POLICE FORCES OF THE WORLD

Hi Mervyn.

The first cap is from the Federal Police of Austria (BUNDESPOLIZEI), used before the current uniform change appeared in 2006.

The white top indicates that it is used by a member of the Traffic Unit. This design is used by all non-commissioned ranks.

The second cap is a mystery to me. Is it Dark Grey or Dark Green the photo looks grey on my computer ?

Is the red braid the same colour as the briad on the white topped cap?

Regards,

Les

• 1 month later...

The last two boxes have had quite a few Austrian pieces. The first one - with the red top - is quite intriguing ? The badge includes an enamelled red cross - would it be for a police chaplain - or, does it have a military origin. Please try to identify these different types .

Hi Mervyn,

Looks like you have fallen into the trap of assuming that all eagles represent Austria, this is of course not the case.

You have a couple of other countries represented here and I think that it would be worth your time to add them as seperate threads, to keep your idea going of having everything from the same country in the same thread.

The cap with the red top is from the GUARDIA CIVIL of SPAIN, it is for the rank of Guardia - Conductor, which is a actually a vehicle driver. It was used during the 1970's and possibly later but is no longer worn.

The other new White topped cap is from the NATIONAL POLICE of POLAND, it represents the rank of Police Officer. It was used from 1990 to 2006, when a new cap badge was issued.

The last one is from the FEDERAL GENDARMERIE (BUNDESGENDARMERIE) of AUSTRIA, it was used by Officer ranks, indicated by the embroidered cap badge and side emblem. This style was discontinued in 2006.

Best Regards,

Les

Les - right at the start of this series of posts , I said quite clearly that I may have knowledge of UK policing - but not a great deal on overseas forces. You have proved me right on that. Thankyou - I think I must get your email and let you see the hats before I actually post them - that will help prevent mistakes like this. I will have to speak - very nicely - to Nick or, perhaps Craig and see if the Spanish and Polish ones can be deleted. I will then re-post.

You do realise that everyone will now be rubbing their hands and saying - he's made a mistake ! Tough !

p.s. Why did they all have to use b..... eagles - what's wrong with Lions ?

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Hi Mervyn,

Remember our on-going conversations (with side comments from Gordon 2014.gif ) about my newly acquired hat.

There are two posts:

- 10/15/09 - Austrian Police Hat

- 12/21/09 - More Austrian Hats

As always, enjoying your posts

Ed

Hi Speagle and Mervyn,

Just had a look at the posts you mentioned in your last post, looks like there is always confusion about colour .

The second cap shown here is by insignia an Austrian Police Officers cap but on my computer it looks grey which as we know is not correct.

I'll keep researching and see what turns up. I've seen many Austrian Police caps over the years but not one like this.

Best Regards,

Les

• 1 month later...

Hi Mervyn,

Well I just worked out what the second cap shown here is, and realised why I didn't recognise it as I was out of collecting for a while.

It is BUNDESPOLIZEI last issue before the amalgamation of the POLIZEI and GENDARMERIE. Still looking for dates of issue , so I'll let you know shortly.

Haven't you had another box of hats in yet ? It seem to have been awhile since you last listed one.

Best Regards,

Les

Hi - Les. How is your health - I hope not too bad at present ? I realise that I have not made the corrections to this post that you pointed out - I think only Nick can make them and I don't like to ask him at present he is so busy.

I have a number of other hats photographed ready to put on - however, I don't like 'smother' this section, so have been holding back. Will do some in the next week or so - any I'm not sure about I'll contact you first.

Best. Mervyn