News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I started collecting medals about 18 Months ago so I am still a relatively new collector. This is what I have collected so far.

As with many new collectors, I suppose, I just collected anything and everything.

I hope to be able to purchase some decent stuff soon.

I have decided to collect Anglo Boer War medals and others of about the same time period as well as Miniature medals ( See my miniature collection )

With older min. QSA's you will usually find that they are thicker and are of sterling silver. This will apply to many of the mins. in your general collection. These early ones are now quite hard to find and many on the market are of recent manufacture and cupro-nickel.

The bars are all important and - as with full size - you will want to collect the different combinations.

You have one King's South Africa medal - I am sure you will know that it couldn't be issued on it's own. So, better to put it with a QSA and make a pair.

The two rare - and interesting medals are on the lower left. These are the Boere Oorlog medal - awarded in the 1920's by the Sth. African Govt. to Afrikaaner veterans of the Boer War (1899-1902). Only just over 12000 were issued and one doesn't see the miniatures very often as they didn't have the need to wear them in formal clothes. About £50 each ($75) Rands 550/600. An interesting fact with this medal is that the two sides of the medal have different Coats of Arms. One for the Orange Vrystaat and the other side for the South African Republic in the Transvaal. The ribbon is also for both states - if the Vrystaat arms are to the front - the ribbon is worn with the Yellow facing into the chest - and of course - vice-a-versa .

Hope this helps - feel free to ask me any questions.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Hello Len -

A good start, and with two ABOs!

I ditto what Mervyn says about the bars - but that is probably part of what has attracted you to the QSA / Boer War medals.

Good luck and I hope you get as much enjoyment out of this field of collecting as I have.

When allowed it would be good to see close ups of the individual medals / bars / naming of the medals. Research and the stories of the men/women behind the medals is what drives me in collecting.

(I shall be in touch re the other medals.)

regards

Thomas

Thanks Mervyn & Thomas

I have decided to go for Full size QSA and ABO medals because they have inherent investment value I believe. I must be honest, at this stage I cannot afford to purchase all the Full size South African medals I want so I decided to go for Full size on these two and the rest I will try to collect with miniatures.

I still have a long way to go and may very well change my mind again.

As I mentioned earlier - When I started out I simply bought any medals that were on offer and I do have quite a few WW1 and WW2 groups and other bits & pieces.

Thanks for all the good advice. I will at some point try to post a better quality picture.

Regards

Len

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Len,

The QSA is a very popular medal for collectors.

As pointed out in the previous posts, there are many ways to approach this collecting field.

I personally have collected and completed all the various clasps and have a bronze example as well as the transport medal in my QSA frame.

I know of collectors who collect various regiments or the different Town Guards and DMT.

Gook luck!

Regards,

Will

• 3 months later...
    • 4 months later...
    • 6 months later...