News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Combat Arm Shields

Hi Pascal,

I wonder why you did not remark that post #11 and #12 shows a fake Krim shield?

I am sure you know this type fake.

Exactly his type shield design is a fantasy one with no original role model. It even comes with fake manufacturer stamps on the revesre paper.

Cheers,

Frank

Edited by Frank Heukemes

Hi Frank,

You?re right, the Krimshield in post 11 & 12 is indeed a well known fake.

I do however not agree with you that this was a fantasy piece as there was a role model for this shield. I will post the Original shield which stood model for this fake.

KR

Pascal

Ps. Sorry I missed this fake, must have been staring at the Cholms for too long.

• 1 month later...

Although primarily a Luftwaffe enthusiast these days, here is my first pattern Cholm shield. A bit rusty, but it can still be seen that this example, although sewn on to backing cloth, still has the attatchment holes for the direct sewing of the award to the tunic positioned at center top and bottom.

Frank

Yes, quite interesting Darrell as I too had not seen another Cholm of this styling until just now with your reference to Bob's example over on th WAF forum, although I have read before where these arm shields, and not just the Cholm apparently, would have examples with these holes manufactured in to them. A fellow collector in my area has in his possession, a KRIM shield manufactured in the same manner, less the backing cloth. Perhaps Bob will be able to see this example of mine here, and we can compare notes.

Frank

I have the Narvik shields from my wifes grandfather, he got his with the first issues, they were exactly like the Zink ones posted by Gordon.

MrBean,

As your Narvik shield is an early issued shield I would be interested to know of which material it was made.

The one posted by Gordon is also an early one and made out of tombak and not zinc.

Thanks,

Pascal

Yes, blue cloth backing on a silver shild. I got it like that . I can't explain it, may be for a blue jacket, the guy changed of service. the backing seems very done for a post-war adding.

On the attached pic, 4 of them seem to wear blue backing cloth.

jacques

The Backing cloth on these is dark green, not blue.

The best way to see a narvik Shield...

The wifes grandfathers.... now MINE !! :P

Highly decorated and a doctor to top it off!!! Very nice!

:love:

What button hole awards does he have? I do see an EK2. What is the other?

Where all was he stationed during the war? Did he stay in the military after the war? Please tell us all you can about him! Where and how was he wounded? Did he survive the war? What else did you get with this phenominal grouping?

Can you please post a frontal shot of the tunic?

I apologize for all of the questions... But inquiring minds want to know(at least mine!)

Best regards

Paul

Edited by Paul Reck

Hi,

He was on the Westerwald at the outbreak of the war, then the destroyer Bernd von Arnim at Narvik, then at the 3rd U-Boot Flottile in La Rochelle, then the 2 U-L.D.

He was actually wounded on the way to Narvik when they were fighting the british GLOWORM.

I have all his awards, documents etc.

Sometime in the future i will do a write up.

Best

Chris

P.S. If you are really, really nice to me I will post the report he did about V.D. in the 3rd U-Boot flottille !

I, personally, would love to see that report... Yet how nice is "really" nice :lol: LOL

So how would he have received the Blockade Runner badge? This inheritance is so full of history! I wonder if he would have met personalities such as Adm Donitz?

All I can say is WOW

This is worthy of a thread of it's own!

Regards

Paul

Edited by Paul Reck