News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Scottish Horse Headgear & Badges - Boer War 1899-1902

Scottish Horse - Headgear and Badges during the Second Anglo Boer War Period

Dear Boer War Unit and Badges Buffs!

I've started this thread after a few requests from others and since some of the information is being described elsewhere I thought it wise to condense into one thread. So feel free to add to this as you feel fit! The link below details some of the discussions already. I am putting together a Website on the SH during the Boer War so the info below will help greatly in this activity! http://gmic.co.uk/in...opic=43680&st=0

Opening discussion statement:

The Slouch Hat:

The SH wore slouch hats during the Boer War, bonnets did not come in till after the Boer War. NCO's and officers had the purgaree on the slouch hat and Troopers had a brown leather band. All ranks wore the black grouse cock feathers black with white trim and centre. I believe there were several different manufactured hats i.e. not just one supplier. There are pictures of hats being worn with no feathers and no badges.

The Badge & Flash:

There were several (three), designs of badge worn. Some say the 'ScH' Badge was also worn as a cap badge but I believe it was a large shoulder title.

The SH during the boer war did not wear a wreath underneath the 'X', this was a post war design. The Murray of Atholl tartan was worn behind the badge either a square or a oval. The Yellow and Red flash behind the badge was either a very late boer war modification (unlikely) or more likely a post war indicator of the different regiments (1st and 2'd). I would welcome anyone who can provide dimentions of the badges in question and any further pictures!

Some Pictures:

SH Slouch Cap - No feathers, No wreath Badge, oval flash:

c1d42ccd.jpg

SH Slouch Cap - No feathers, No wreath Badge, square flash:

c6b1c078.jpg

The Black Grouse notice his tail feathers (now a protected species in UK!):

9ef5fd63.jpg

Badge Type 1:

99aa463b.jpg

Badge Type 2:

0a41e480.jpg

Badge Type 3:

cb4d9aa3.jpg

Badge Type 4 (Which I belive to be shoulder badge):

95047b82.jpg

Badge Type 5 Which I beleive to be a post Boer War Shoulder Badge:

9d1e9508.jpg

Trooper Scottish Horse with short lance:

c00537d5.png

Trooper H. Middleton 2'd Scottish Horse - Feather on slouch cap:

8bf10066.jpg

Will try and get some more pictures added over the next few days!

Australian Squadron of the SH (You would not mess with these blokes!!!):

walter-whatmore-army.jpg

Cowans Scouts and SH and 5th IY:

wilson38-961-scottish-horse.jpg

Another SH Badge looks very similar to the Type 1 above:

2e5a1937.jpg

W. English VC. I think this is just post Boer War after receiving his VC so may have had uniform upgrade:

william_john_english_vc.jpg

Edited by fallschirmjager