News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Dad's Medals: South African Medal Group WWII

My Dad was in the Air Force during WW2 and spent some time in North Africa as well as Italy.

I remember my Dad telling me that he missed the Africa Star as well as the 1939-45 Star by "days"

After the war he spend a short time working in the private sector and then joined the Army.

He was a qualified Armourer ( Gun Tiffie) and retired with the rank of WOI

During the Border War my Dad and I ended up spending almost two months together in the same area near Ruacana in South West Africa ( Namibia).

I was in the Citizen Force and he was Permanent Force and it was quite a unique experience spending time together in the Operational area.

My Dad was not the typical frontline soldier but I remember seeing him with his medals on parade and how proud I was.

I had his medals framed a few years ago and I can recall his excitement as he hung them on the wall.

Sadly he passed away about a year ago and I received his medals and that re-ignited my interest in medals and now I am a rookie collector.

Sorry to hear about your sad loss. But, I am glad your interest is back, and what a great palce to start - your Dad's medals!. I'm not familiar with SA medals. I would be grateful if you could give a run down on what looks like a great group!. :cheers:

i'll bet you never forget the look on his face

when you presented him with his medals...

a sad thing to lose one's father, but even sadder to think

of all those young men and women who NEVER met their offspring.

one of my partners father was KIA in viet nam 2 weeks after her

birth...

your attention to his accomplishments was a prize to him and a treasure for you.

welcome aboard!

joe

Thanks for the kind words guys! It is appreciated a lot.

For those not familiar with the South African Medals, from left to right ( Medal Yearbook reference in brackets):

Pro Patria Medal (SA37) - Awarded for defense of the Republic of South Africa & prevention of terrorism

General Service Medal (SA39) - Awarded for service within the borders of the Republic of South Africa

South African Defence Force Good Service Medal ( Gold ) (SA30) - 30 years Service

South African Defence Force Good Service Medal ( Silver ) (SA30) - 20 years Service

Permanent Force Good Service Medal (SA29) - 18 Years Service (was replaced by SA30)

WW2 Defence Medal (185)

WW2 War Medal (186)

WW2 Africa Service Medal (189)

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

Great Story! I am very happy you have the information you need to put a story to your father. The sacrifice they made for us will be long remembered and never forgotten. Incidently, the medals belonging to your father are similar to the ones left to me by mine. So I am anxious to hear the story behind them.

I have recently begun to research my father's past. I was able to find some information here to get me to the right place in the U.K. where his service records are held. After a quick e-mail, I am now in contact with the person who will be able to provide me with my Dad's past. He died in 1975 and I was only 12 at the time. I never really knew much because he didn't talk about it. When he tried, there were just tears so it has been a mystery to me since he passed. I so appreciate this site and all the wonderful people and information.

T.