News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Good Evening To All... Good to see some old friends..

I'm hoping, with the help of other collectors, that this thread will give a little insight into, what I consider to be, the interesting, and sometimes complicated, world of collecting 'Luftwaffe' awards.

Well, I suppose we should start with a listing of the manufacturers of flight qualification badges and categorize the types that can be found.

F.W Assmann

C.E Juncker

J(I)MME & Shon

BSW

GWL

OM

W. Deumer

B&NL

There is a maker that, although similar in design to GWL, hither too, has not been identified as such, due to all examples being unmarked. So, until research confirms this maker?s identity, we will use the somewhat ambiguous title, given to it by the collecting community, of ?The Unknown Maker?

Categories.

Pilot. (Flugzeugf?hrerabzeichen)

Observer. (Beobachterabzeichen)

Pilot/Observer. (Gemeinsames Flugzeugf?hrer-und Beobachter-abzeichen)

Radio operator/Air gunner (Fliegersch?tzenabzeichen f?r Bordfunker)

Air gunner/Flight engineer (Fliegersch?tzenabzeichen f?r Bordsch?tzen u. Bordmechaniker)

Air gunner/Flight engineer (unqualified)

Glider Pilot. (Segeflugzeugf?hrerabzeichen)

Para's, Ground Assault, etc, will follow, I'm sure....

If you've got them... Show them.

I'll start off with one of my favourites...

By F.W Assmann. 1st Pattern Pilot's badge.

• Replies 101
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

These are beautiful. Of all the "badges", the Luftwaffe are the most beautiful. Just my opinion guys, please don't jump on me. smile.gif

Thanks for this post, very informative. I hope the Luft guys will post more of these beauties.

Guest Darrell

Here is my Zinc BSW Pilots Badge:

LuftwaffePilotBadge1936-45Obverse3.jpg

Here is a Junker 3rd Pattern Tombak (or nickel) on Zinc Wreath (Got from RoyA):

LuftwaffePilotBadge1936-45JunckersObvers

I totally agree with you, Jim? But, of course, I?m biased.. No jumping from me.

@ H009291..(Come on, give us a clue..What?s your Christian name? I?ll never remember H009291..Sorry, being cheeky)

A very clean ?BSW?... I also have the same type Juncker 3rd pattern which I?ll dig out and photograph. Is your example marked ?Berlin SW68? or unmarked?

@ G.W? You?re right, good to see Fran?ois here? I only hope that he will allow us to see some of his most excellent pieces..

Fran?ois, calling Fran?ois :food-smiley-004:

Here's another early one...

The Same 1st pattern 'Assmann' PB but in aluminium.

Guest Darrell

@John .... look below my sigs ... name is Darrell wink.gif

@Jim .... here are a few more pics of the Junker --- it is unmarked John :food-smiley-004:

LuftwaffePilotBadge1936-45JunckersObvers

LuftwaffePilotBadge1936-45JunckersRevers

Ah, Darrell...forgive me!! It's past midnight and I'm as blind as a bot...BOT!! see, I told you.. smile.gif

Now this is where it gets a little complicated....

The badge, above is a pure 1st pattern example... 1 pat' bird on a 1st pat' wreath.

The next one is a transitional piece, being a 2nd pat' bird on a 1st pat wreath. left over stock never going to waste it would seem.. This mix & match went on throughtout the production of the various patterns and makes things a little more interesting when it comes to the authentication process.. We will, no doubt, come to the even more complicated subject of supply and use of parts, between manufacturers, at some point..

1st pat wreath with 2nd pat bird...

I wish you all a very pleasant evening, where ever you are...

Edited by J Temple-West

Just adding a few as we go along....

Still on the early pre-war types, here's a rather exotic variation of a PB by 'Juncker'... Silver plate on Tombak, this PB was probably produced as a private order or presentation piece to be worn on an officer's evening dress or parade uniform..

'Juncker' produced solid, '800' marked, silver examples, so this particular piece, being plated, would have been considered a poor man's equivalent...

The 'recon' clasp is only added for effect... rolleyes.gif

Edited by J Temple-West

John,

On the RO/AG badge, I definitely like the first pattern bird best. Very nicely done. I love this thread. I've always been very interested in Luft awards, just couldn't really afford them.

If I were to swing a pilots badge, what would you recommend as a first piece??

"If I were to swing a pilots badge, what would you recommend as a first piece??"

Hi Jim,

Not an easy a question as you might think..

Early 1st pattern pieces can demand large prices, late zinc pieces, although relatively cheap, can be a bit boring as, by their very nature, the overall finish, generally speaking, is of a poorer quality..

I would go for an example from the second series, in Buntmetal, from a known maker such as Assmann, Juncker or BSW..

Of course, as in any other field of collecting, always go for the best example that the purse can afford and before parting with the 'hard earned' get it checked out...

I'll post some examples from these makers.. They all have there own characteristics and you will find that you will develop a liking for a particular maker.

Amongst Luftwaffe collectors there's always been this debate as to the best maker, Assmann vs Juncker usually..

Anyway, if I can ever be of help in the authentication process, let me know..

Can't help you with the Wife, though.. rolleyes.gif

1st up.. 2nd pattern 'Juncker'

Edited by J Temple-West