News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Purple Heart - Col. Douglas C. McNair, son of LTG Leslie McNair

Hugh

I wasn't a collector of US medals, but recently a friend gave me a Navy Cross and Silver Star, so now I am. I was fossicking in a local shop and found a Purple Heart named to Col. Douglas C. McNair, KIA by a sniper on 6 August 1944 on Guam. He's the son of LTG Leslie McNair, who was killed by a friendly bomb on the Normandy breakout two weeks prior. What a sad story! I'll attach some web data and clippings.

Hugh

Attachment is a newspaper clipping of the McNair family. Col. Douglas McNair's wife Freda Elliott McNair shown above on the left, was the daughter of Colonel Milton A. Elliott II. and Freda Cook Elliott. Both Colonel Douglas McNair and his father Lt. General Lesley J. McNair were killed during WWII. After the death of Colonel McNair in Guam Freda his widow, never re-married. In 1943 Colonel Ralph Kimball married Freda Cook Elliott after she was divorced from her first husband Colonel Milton A. Elliott II.

Col. Douglas C. McNair (Purple Heart) Reduced .doc

Edited by Hugh

Hugh,

Check out this thread on the US Militaria Forum:

www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64330&hl=

It talks about some fake engraving going on the central Florida where all sorts of unusual things are popping up at flea markets and military shops. The style of naming is fairly consistent, although the fakers have moved to earlier style brooches (slot).

Unfortunately, I think this one is another of that batch.

Hugh,

Check out this thread on the US Militaria Forum:

www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64330&hl=

It talks about some fake engraving going on the central Florida where all sorts of unusual things are popping up at flea markets and military shops. The style of naming is fairly consistent, although the fakers have moved to earlier style brooches (slot).

Unfortunately, I think this one is another of that batch.

Thanks for this, Jeff. It's a slot brooch and came in a period box, so I bit. After looking at the other site, it appears that Army did not include rank or KIA data on official engraving; just first name /initial/last name. Is this correct?

P. S. Waiting for a response from you on a couple of emails on your regular address.

Thanks,

Hugh

Guest Darrell

Hugh the following engraved PH are from my collection. Each a KIA. These are the normally encountered Textbook (non USMC) examples you will find:

1. Small Machine Engraved.

2. Large Machine Engraved.

3. Script Engraved.

Hugh the following engraved PH are from my collection. Each a KIA. These are the normally encountered Textbook (non USMC) examples you will find:

1. Small Machine Engraved.

2. Large Machine Engraved.

3. Script Engraved.

Thanks for this, Darrell. It appears that none of your examples include KIA data nor rank. Is that correct?

Hugh

Edited by Hugh

The examples Darrell illustrates are the accepted naming styles for Army Purple Hearts, as done at the Philadelphia QM Depot. They do NOT include rank, dates, branch, or KIA/WIA/POW.

Get to know these styles and you'll quickly learn to spot the non-standard namings.

Thanks to Jeff and Darrell, I was able to take the medal back to the dealer, who has agreed to reimburse me. He bought it in either Mt. Dora or Webster.

I also found out a little more about the faker. He appears frequently at the 49er Flea Market in St. Petersburg. He is reported to have long grey hair in a ponytail, and wears a Vietnam Vet ball cap. I've asked for help in getting his name so we can report him.

• 10 months later...

Thanks to Jeff and Darrell, I was able to take the medal back to the dealer, who has agreed to reimburse me. He bought it in either Mt. Dora or Webster.

I also found out a little more about the faker. He appears frequently at the 49er Flea Market in St. Petersburg. He is reported to have long grey hair in a ponytail, and wears a Vietnam Vet ball cap. I've asked for help in getting his name so we can report him.

he is a problem!!! Been faking hearts for a few years now!!

go to Tom Lanes great site see good engravings and also he has a section on fakes! Good you got your money back!!!!

Guest Darrell

I still find it amzing how many named PH are taken as real engraving even today.

Unless they are one of the above I'd stay away ....

It seems that US medal collectors are a naive bunch. They need to step into TR collecting for a while to see that items can be faked very easily.

I still find it amzing how many named PH are taken as real engraving even today.

Unless they are one of the above I'd stay away ....

It seems that US medal collectors are a naive bunch. They need to step into TR collecting for a while to see that items can be faked very easily.

That's why I gave up on Third Reich almost 40 years ago.

H

• 2 years later...

I know this post is rather old, but I figured I'd reply anyways! I'm Col. Douglas' daughter Bonnie's Grand daughter. My mom and I have most of both his and his father's medals, a lot of which my mother donated to the museum at Fort McNair. I'm glad to see people still remembering these great men!

I know this post is rather old, but I figured I'd reply anyways! I'm Col. Douglas' daughter Bonnie's Grand daughter. My mom and I have most of both his and his father's medals, a lot of which my mother donated to the museum at Fort McNair. I'm glad to see people still remembering these great men!

Hallie, thank you for posting this... But more importantly, thank you for your family's service to our nation. As a retired Army officer, I've spent a lot of time on/at Fort McNair. I'll be driving by there tomorrow in fact... It's great to hear that you have treasured their medals and their service.

I wonder how many of us first learned of your father and grandfather through some connection with Fort McNair. The name is a wonderful way to commemorate their service. The Navy used to do it with ships, but they seem to be shifting to politicians these days.

• 1 year later...

I also found this old post. My wife is a McNair from the same family. We would love to get in touch with Hallie. My daughter Elise just received her appointment to Annapolis and will be following in the family tradition.

Delighted to see members of the McNair family reading these posts, and I'm delighted to hear that the family medals are at Fort McNair.  I've sent a fair bit of time there over the years.  As a Naval Academy graduate, I'm also delighted to see that Elise will be sharing the family's talents with the Navy.  

I hope that Curtis and Hallie have been able to connect via the Private Messaging function of this forum.  (I wasn't aware it existed for months.)

Thanks for joining us.  

Hugh

• 2 weeks later...

During the U.S. military occupation of West Berlin, Germany (1945 - 1990), a Kaserne there was named McNair Barracks in honor of General Lesley McNair.  It was formerly a Telefunken assembly facility for communications equipment & taken by occupation forces for use as troop billets.  McNair Barracks was home to Soldiers of 6th U.S. Infantry & 502nd U.S. Infantry.  More recently, it has become an apartment/condominium complex.