News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Took a punt on this on Epay... £30. It was advertised as:

"LATE VICTORIAN SILVER BROOCH IN PRETTY GOOD CONDITION. IS GOLD WASHED TO CERTAIN PARTS OF THE FRONT. HAS BOBBLES ROUND THE HEARTS - 8 OF WHICH APPEAR TO BE A BIT SQUASHED. HAS A MAKER'S MARK AND OTHER HALLMARKS ON THE REVERSE WHICH ARE VERY RUBBED. I CANNOT MAKE OUT THE MAKER BUT I HAVE JUST MAKE OUT THE OTHER MARKS TO READ "Birmingham 1901". THE BROOCH HAS BEEN STRENGTHENED ON THE REVERSE WITH A SMALL PIECE OF SILVER WHICH IS VERY NEATLY DONE. PIN FITTING IN WORKING ORDER. MEASURES 45 X 21MM. "

I would also add that there is a heart and a cross & anchor through the cross.

There seems to have been a concentration camp here: My link

Other than this all I could find on this town was that Lord Roberts took the town in May: Roberts Takes Kroonstad

So the question I have, is does anyone know what theis brooch would have been for? Is it Boer (made in Birmingham - unlikely?), is it naval (anchor), is it a sweetheart broach (why Kroonstad).

All ideas welcome and apologies for the pictures they are from my mobile!

11d92c93.jpg

81125a22.jpg

Edited by fallschirmjager