News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 71
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick Research

Ho ho! I never saw that last bar before-- Daniel K will know who THAT belonged to! :cheers:

What I can say about the LAST ribbon bar above is that it was made by Otto Schickle. That is their distinctive Wehrmacht long service eagle-- huge square wings, and too small wreathed swastika...

typical of the variations in the "same" devices

made by different companies

at different times...

and identified only because Gordon Williamson turned up an original 1940 Schickle sales catalog.

Now if and when a catalog turns up (as they do, sometimes) with a whole page of mini-bars illustrated and THERE is "Nassob".... :rolleyes::cheeky:

My little Bavarian "Oranje" certainly predates the Hindenburg Cross (1934/35). I betcha if Heiko shows us entire bars with these on them, most will date from the 1930s. It would be interesting to compare the "same" (19mm to 19mm and 15mm to 15mm) bars from a pre-Hindenburg Cross ribbon bar with a late 1930s one.

Logic tells me that tiny colonial bars are NOT being massively faked-- just because then the market would be flooded with them--

as it is with fantasy "Blood Order" ribbon bars, NSDAP 25 year bars, SS rune bars and on and on and on. Those people are stupid and greedy. They don't feed ONE item into the retail market, and they cannot control their impulses to create a Hollywood Horror every time. I always tell people without even looking that 999 out of 1,000 "SS" rune bars are going to be bad, because those are the actual odds. Heck, I haven't even SEEN mini-colonial bars more than maybe 20 times in 30+ years--

and that's because Heiko has almost every single last one there is! :cheeky::cheers:

Bob, I believe what you will find here is that all of Heiko's examples, excluding his "Auob" Bar are 18/19mm. wide (minimum). The Auob bar shown by Heiko is probably 15mm. The Auob bar shown by Heiko is a poor quality photo and I can't imagine making a determination from this picture alone. Having said that, there's either deformities in the photo, or the bar itself (background) that do not come close to matching the quality of the 15mm. bars I have shown.

Notice that the "Venezuala" bar offered by Nordwind doesn't match any of the examples shown by Rick, Heiko, or myself and is at least 19-20mm. wide.

In addition, the China mini clasps shown by Heiko are from one maker.

The Afrika clasps are from one maker in posts 46 & 47 and (probably) a different maker from the China clasps. The Auob Bar photo is possibly the same maker as the two shown by me. A third maker. Note that of the bars shown by both Heiko & Rick Research, are at least 18-20mm. wide.

Many of these photos are not of "diagnostic" quality. One cannot compare China Clasps with Afrika. One cannot compare full-size clasps with miniatures. One cannot compare 3 different makers of Afrika clasps and expect there to be uniformity. Uniformity of a single type from a single maker, sure. But from 4 different makers?? (1 China, 3 Afrika)??

Good morning Gerd,

now it`s getting an adventure :P

the battle clasp "NOSSOB" was given for the battles between 25.3.1905 - 7.5.2005 in the area of two rivers "Kleiner Nossob" and "Gro?er Nossob" (little nossob and big nossob) which is located north-east of Gross-Namaland.

the battles were Aminuis 25.3.1905, Nnibkobis 8.4.1905 and Ganachab 7.5.1905 - these three battles were put together for the battle clasp "Nossob"

But now we have a "Nassob-River" as well (just googled too...) but all hits give the Nassob-River as the border between Botswana and South-Africa and not beween Namibia and Botswana for example. The little and the big Nossob come together and are running then as one river, the Nassob-River.... So maybe in german it is the Nossob-River (little and big) and in english it is the Nassob-River. But this Nassob is not on former german territory.... MAY I ASK THE QUESTION IF THIS "NASSOB" CAN BE SOME KIND OF A BRITISH BATTLECLASP ????????? :speechless::speechless::speechless: Of course private purchased, not the typical british style... or maybe a dutch one??? Who else has been in the area of South Africa and Botswana?

I am just feeling like "Heiko Potter and the magic clasp" :D

PLEASE HELP!!!! :speechless::speechless1:

Guest Rick Research

I believe the ONLY recipients of the "Kalahari 1907" bar were

British

:speechless1:

but of course none of them would have been in the Mecklenburg civil service in 1938! :rolleyes:

"Nnibkobis Ganachab?" :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

• 2 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

:jumping: FANTASTIC!!!!! Those were the days when "expeditions" could be counted in DOZENS...

so how many of them were even still alive in the 1920s? That tiny little suspension Spange must have been a custom-ordered piece-- certainly NOBODY would have made them in "commercial numbers."