News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Battle of Waterloo

I would like to ask if anyone can helpme with some information on my Great, Great Great Grandfathers involvement in the battle of Waterloo.

This story starts with my mother cleaning out my grandmothers house shortly after her death where she found a package which contained a hand made frame which contained two insignias and on the back of the frame it had the following hand written information

The Colour Stripes

Sergt William Rattray

Blairgorm

Nethybridge

Worn at the battle of Waterloo

We have since found out that he was born on 6th April 1795 in Girvan Ayrshire where his Father was stationed as part of the 1st Fencibles Regiment and he died at Blairgorm, Nethybridge on 14th January 1871

We know that he served in the 78th Foot Regiment and also the Royal African Colonial Corps and served between 1811 and 1826 when he was discharged aged 32 years

We would like to ask your assistance if possible to shed more light on him personally via his service record and also in identifying the insignias as attached

I would like to ask if anyone can helpme with some information on my Great, Great Great Grandfathers involvement in the battle of Waterloo.

This story starts with my mother cleaning out my grandmothers house shortly after her death where she found a package which contained a hand made frame which contained two insignias and on the back of the frame it had the following hand written information

The Colour Stripes

Sergt William Rattray

Blairgorm

Nethybridge

Worn at the battle of Waterloo

We have since found out that he was born on 6th April 1795 in Girvan Ayrshire where his Father was stationed as part of the 1st Fencibles Regiment and he died at Blairgorm, Nethybridge on 14th January 1871

We know that he served in the 78th Foot Regiment and also the Royal African Colonial Corps and served between 1811 and 1826 when he was discharged aged 32 years

We would like to ask your assistance if possible to shed more light on him personally via his service record and also in identifying the insignias as attached

Hello BBRAW......

I have done a quick check of the Waterloo Medal Roll and there are only 12 men listed as having served at Waterloo and rec'd the Waterloo Medal and I am sorry but there is no Rattray listed as having served in the 78th Regiment of Foot......

Could there be any other regiment????? Also I can find no record of the Royal African Colonial Corps.........

I am interested in the Rattray side as it is part of my wifes family, way way way back......

Mike

Sorry the 72nd did not serve at Waterloo...... I checked the 92nd Regiment of Highlanders and there is a Private David Rattray, I also checked the 42nd The Black watch and again sorry..... Looking at the badges they look more like Victorian than Waterloo period.......

Mike

My suggestion that you possibly post them on the following forum......

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/

Mike

Edited by QSAMIKE

Looking at the badges they look more like Victorian than Waterloo period.......

Mike

The crossed daggers are very interesting, as the Victorian soldier would not have carried anything like that as part of his weaponry - still using long bayoneys until after WWI. They look like special forces fighting knives, which is just plain odd! Very intriguing. Please do let us know if the badge forum can ID them for you.

Peter

The single flag insignia was the one used when the rank of Colour Sergeant was created in 1813, however it continued to be worn well into the Victorian era. I have photos of CS in the Crimea wearing them. The crossed flags was adopted later, I think in the 1870s, certainly used by the Zulu war. There was a Royal African Corp which saw sevice in Senegal during the Napoleonic period. It was however a punishment battalion, west Africa being one of the worst possible postings due to disease (around 25% dying every year from sickness)so it was garrisoned by military prisoners. Infact in 1810 the RAC planned a mutiny which was however detected and stopped by executing 25 and sending another 25 to Sierra Leone which was even worse.